What's on your bench? 2/6/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NG is definitely the way to go, just keep in mind most generators are de-rated a little when run on NG. If memory serves me correctly, a 20kw unit will produce 20kw on propane, and 17kw on NG. But, you can run out of propane....you won't run out of NG!!! Oh, and for budget purposes it usually costs about as much to install one as it costs to buy the unit. In a previous life (career) I did a lot of generator work, mostly on the design end of things. I currently own three generators, 800w, 5000w, and a tractor pto 16,000 watt unit. Have a 200 amp transfer switch in the shop that switches my entire service. Its a little complicated, but extremely flexible. I can run anything I want, but have to watch my loads pretty close.

Bang for buck diesel is the way to go with standby generator. They're noisy but nearly twice as cheap to run compared to gas, ng or propane.

Good if you regularly use it and the diesel doesn't have time to go sour. Advantage with nat gas/propane is, people use it for heating, water heating, cooking, etc. Nothing goes sour. And if you don't think propane can go sour, oh man, 2 1/2 year old propane in a forklift's tank, took forever to cycle out the last of that stanky crap.

Just finished up installing a new piston in a Jonsered 2165. My first jonsered...I was surprised with the quality and similarities they have to Husqvarna. It ran great with plenty of power. Pulled a 20in bar with ease

NG is definitely the way to go, just keep in mind most generators are de-rated a little when run on NG. If memory serves me correctly, a 20kw unit will produce 20kw on propane, and 17kw on NG. But, you can run out of propane....you won't run out of NG!!! Oh, and for budget purposes it usually costs about as much to install one as it costs to buy the unit. In a previous life (career) I did a lot of generator work, mostly on the design end of things. I currently own three generators, 800w, 5000w, and a tractor pto 16,000 watt unit. Have a 200 amp transfer switch in the shop that switches my entire service. Its a little complicated, but extremely flexible. I can run anything I want, but have to watch my loads pretty close.

Good if you regularly use it and the diesel doesn't have time to go sour. Advantage with nat gas/propane is, people use it for heating, water heating, cooking, etc. Nothing goes sour. And if you don't think propane can go sour, oh man, 2 1/2 year old propane in a forklift's tank, took forever to cycle out the last of that stanky crap.
This generator would hopefully see no use, lol. It would be for emergency use only. The only time we have ever been without power here is when hurricane Ike went through several years ago.

This generator would hopefully see no use, lol. It would be for emergency use only. The only time we have ever been without power here is when hurricane Ike went through several years ago.
We loose power all the time. There are far more splices on the old wires on this road than there are poles.

Well, the bench isn't built yet, small engine shop/shed still under construction, but inside a cardboard box on the kitchen table I took apart my hardly used mityvac 8500 today. yeech. Some doofus who looks a lot like me apparently got either brake fluid or PSF in there and it corroded out. Nasty. Will look for a rebuild kit tomorrow locally.

I got the metal one thinking it would be better but apparently whatever it is made of is real susceptible to that. I cleaned it up and reoiled all the o rings and other flexible do dads, nothing, won't pull a vacuum or build an ounce of pressure. In retrospect I should have looked to see if there was something comparable in function, but built in stainless steel and better quality o rings and membranes, etc..

For the record, diesel is way more stable than gas with an unlimited shelf life if stored and handled properly. Keep the water out and it lasts for decades. We lose our power quite regularly and other than the noise, it's been by far the best way to run the entire house including the well with a 3/4 horse pump without a hiccup.

I won't have a saw here in time to port this weekend, which is a good thing. We had >5" of water in our basement right after Christmas. Our primary sump pump was on the blink and we were running on the backup. I've since bought a second Zoeller M137 pump to make the new primary and wellwill move old M137 to backup. The old backup was another 1/2 HP Zoeller but of much less capacity. It simply couldn't keep up. Either one of these M137s should be able to handle it. While I'm at it I'm going to run new electric to it so that they're on separate circuits.

View attachment 485292
Hey Mr snelling good choice on brand and size of pump. Please replace your back flow preventer while in it. Also what your supplier charge you for the m137 1/2 hp? I run 2 tandem with another 1/2 hp old school 220 pump as back up. It is easily 30 years old and spent the first 10-15 years as a only punp. I'd trust that pump before anything. I know you will do it the right way good work man sorry about your luck. My house is on or near a spring with the yard pitch wrong trapping water close to the house. And my wife planned these dam bushes with paver making water evacuation even worse. Back on topic.

Right now... I have 170 cc's of Poulan Pro sitting there, awaiting some work, and warmer weather. :cold:
655bp & 455

655_zpshmfxjw7l.jpg

455-2_zpsw1jb1abr.jpg

Gregg,
God some wood but I can't stand up because my wood is hard. That's American muscle. I'd love to run that bad boy. Biggest I got is 80ccs. Let up know your prgress please. I love the motor head stuff. Please keep it going.
I won't have a saw here in time to port this weekend, which is a good thing. We had >5" of water in our basement right after Christmas. Our primary sump pump was on the blink and we were running on the backup. I've since bought a second Zoeller M137 pump to make the new primary and wellwill move old M137 to backup. The old backup was another 1/2 HP Zoeller but of much less capacity. It simply couldn't keep up. Either one of these M137s should be able to handle it. While I'm at it I'm going to run new electric to it so that they're on separate circuits.

View attachment 485292

View attachment 485292

I'd like to buy that sump pump to rebuild them for back ups I'll pay shipping and gripping/folding to
Get it here. It'd another hobby I guess.

b372a1bfdd606d654daf56632ab7e753.jpg

Here 40 KW of diesel power, trade for saw collection +shipping from Calif.
My neighbors have looooong extension cords [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a old military diesel generator welder that will power our whole farm and probably the neighbors house too. Plus 6 portables between 2000w -8000w. So no issue I also have a sole back up battery cell with a inverter for 22-18 hrs of back up sump pump power. I love overkill.

subaru parts showed up yesterday and she is getting ready to be reinstalled. freshened up a bit. definitely something different to work on. floating wrist pins that must be installed thru access holes in the sides of the cylinders.

AS 005.jpg

Back