What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
I looked at everything you are looking at this spring and wanted to stay away from the 4 mix too. I wanted either 2 stroke or 4 stroke not the 4 mix.

I ended up not getting a backpack blower for my needs. I went with husky hand held instead.

Check this backpack out too.

Dolmar PB-7601.4 Blower Specifications:
Displacement: 75.6 cc Four Stroke Engine
Weight: 23.6 lbs

what are the specs on the Husky hand-held? I wanted a back pack earlier this year but went with a Stihl SH-86. I couldn't justify a backpack blower. I truthfully never even looked at a Husky blower, Husqvarna dealers are almost not existent here, and if they are, they barely stock. I love the sh-86, it does whatever I need and then some. I even got the gutter attachment.

what are the specs on the Husky hand-held? I love the sh-86, it does whatever I need and then some. I even got the gutter attachment.

I didnt need the shredder just a blower thiis time and I had another older husky with shredder
that was never used.

sh-86 C-E specs and price $279.

DISPLACEMENT 27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 0.8 kW (1.1 bhp)
WEIGHT 5.6 kg (12.3 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 440 cc (14.9 oz.)
AIR VELOCITY*
Round Nozzle
Flat Nozzle
64 m/sec (154 mph)
85 m/sec (190 mph)
AIR VOLUME*
Round Nozzle
Flat Nozzle
780 m3/h (459 cfm)
610 m3/h (359 cfm)
AIR VOLUME
(Vac Mode)
770 m3/h (453 cfm)
SOUND PRESSURE RATING 70 dB(A)
(vac & blower)
Measured per ANSI B175.2

I just needed the cheapest husky blower some what like the stihl BG-55 I only paid $139 for the husky with flat and round tubes unlike the 55.

BG-55 specs

DISPLACEMENT 27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER .0.7 kW (0.9 bhp)
WEIGHT 4.1 kg (9.0 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 400 cc (13.5 oz.)
AIR VELOCITY AT NOZZLE
(Round) 63 m/sec.(140 mph)
AIR VOLUME AT NOZZLE
(Round) 710 m³/h (417 cfm)
SOUND PRESSURE RATING 69 dB(A)

Husky 125B cheapest one they sale.

Specifications for 125B
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 28 cc
Power output 1.1 hp
Maximum power speed 8000 rpm
Maximum recommended engine speed 10000 rpm
Carburetor Zama C1Q
Fuel tank volume 16.91 fl oz
Fuel consumption 575 g/kWh
Spark plug Champion RCJ6Y
Article data Air flow in housing 470 cfm
Air flow in pipe 425 cfm
Air Speed 170 mph
Air speed (round nozzle) 130 mph
Air speed (flat nozzle) 170 mph
Emission data EPA Exhaust emissions (HC average) 41.5 g/kWh
Exhaust emissions (CO average) 168 g/kWh
Exhaust emissions (NOx average) 0.4 g/kWh
Vibration & noise data Equivalent vibration level (ahv , eq) handle 11.1 m/s²
Sound pressure level at operators ear 92 dB(A)
Sound power level, guaranteed (LWA) 107 dB(A)
Sound pressure (15m) 70 dB(A)
Equipment OEM Harness --
OEM Nozzle type Round+Flat
Overall dimensions Weight 9.4 lbs

HUSQVARNA 125B - Blowers

The one that shreds and vacs list for $199

Husky 125BVX

Specifications for 125BVx
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 28 cc
Power output 1.1 hp
Maximum power speed 8000 rpm
Maximum recommended engine speed 10000 rpm
Carburetor Zama C1Q
Fuel tank volume 16.91 fl oz
Fuel consumption 575 g/kWh
Spark plug Champion RCJ6Y
Article data Air flow in housing 470 cfm
Air flow in pipe 425 cfm
Air Speed 170 mph
Air speed (round nozzle) 130 mph
Air speed (flat nozzle) 170 mph
Mulch ratio 16:1
Emission data EPA Exhaust emissions (HC average) 41.5 g/kWh
Exhaust emissions (CO average) 168 g/kWh
Exhaust emissions (NOx average) 0.4 g/kWh
Vibration & noise data Equivalent vibration level (ahv , eq) handle 11.1 m/s²
Sound pressure level at operators ear 92 dB(A)
Sound power level, guaranteed (LWA) 107 dB(A)
Sound pressure (15m) 70 dB(A)
Equipment OEM Harness Single harness
OEM Nozzle type Round+Flat
OEM Vacuum Kit Included
Overall dimensions Weight 9.6 lbs
Vac bag capacity 17 gal

Last edited:
So all of the performance specs (except w/flat nozzle) are higher on Husky's cheapest blower compared to Stihl's most expensive handheld? :bang:

Yup. Hard to beat a Husky 125B for the price. Picked mine up from Baileys, no sales tax and free shipping. A Stihl blower could not even come close in price.

They do take well to muffler mods though ;)

A little update, the redmax has picked up some power and I would say it is very close to even with the BR600. The BR600 has been running steady all season on dino and 87 till recently (see below). Both start 2 pulls cold, one hot. Both blowers have been flawless and have taken normal beatings (riding around in the truck, being pickup and set down numerous times). Stihl is more comfortable and I like the controls better. Fit and finish seem better as well. Bought another 600 last week for the company.

Some guys might be happy to hear we switched to redmax syn blend oil. I can buy a case for $75 (2.5 gal), so it was a no brainer, as it is much cheaper than stihl oil. Still run 87 gas, we use it quick and have never experienced an issue that can be contributed to fuel.

My personal BR600 has dropped a valve at 125 hours (Have had an hour meter since new) and is too much to fix as it ground the crank up some too. I've owned it since around 30 hours. Was running syn oil and 93 the whole time! Just adjusted the valves at 100 hours. Oh well. So I'm in the market for a backpack for myself. As crazy as it sounds, leaning stihl right now. Redmax second.

what a waste of money. next time you don't get a raise you'll know why.... had to replace the intentionally abused equipment instead of paying the boys better. Oh well, gotta stimulate the economy somehow.

Haha, you're funny. When stuff gets used, used daily at that, it will break eventually. There are guys that are rougher with equipment than others, but no one just throws stuff or purposely tries to destroy it. We have 460's that are 7 or 8 years old, even have an ms360 that still sees regular use. They don't look all that well, but still function properly. Is that possible with intentional abuse? If a piece of equipment can't cut it out in the field, we'll know sooner than later.

With most tree operations you're lucky if they add any oil at all. Most of the tree guys around here are lucky to be alive if you ask me. The real issue is the fact they make a lot of money fast and a $500.00 piece of equipment can be replace in a few minutes, wasteful and just plane stupid.

Yes, lots of small time guys that just blow any money that comes their way. On the other end, you see the successful businesses; advanced/expensive equipment, safety oriented, educated in proper tree healthcare, solid individuals as employees. It's sad that most people see the tree industry as you describe, but the good guys need to do a better job projecting a different image.

I haved used the Stihl when I worked with a landscaper. Blowing two miles of sidewalk a day it is okay. It is lighter than my Redmax but does not have as much power. Better than an electric or a poulan though.

A little update, the redmax has picked up some power and I would say it is very close to even with the BR600. The BR600 has been running steady all season on dino and 87 till recently (see below). Both start 2 pulls cold, one hot. Both blowers have been flawless and have taken normal beatings (riding around in the truck, being pickup and set down numerous times). Stihl is more comfortable and I like the controls better. Fit and finish seem better as well. Bought another 600 last week for the company.

Some guys might be happy to hear we switched to redmax syn blend oil. I can buy a case for $75 (2.5 gal), so it was a no brainer, as it is much cheaper than stihl oil. Still run 87 gas, we use it quick and have never experienced an issue that can be contributed to fuel.

My personal BR600 has dropped a valve at 125 hours (Have had an hour meter since new) and is too much to fix as it ground the crank up some too. I've owned it since around 30 hours. Was running syn oil and 93 the whole time! Just adjusted the valves at 100 hours. Oh well. So I'm in the market for a backpack for myself. As crazy as it sounds, leaning stihl right now. Redmax second.
Just buy the Shindaiwa 802 and be done with it.

Well,

Just like CAD with saws, I have come down with BAD, in regards to backpack blowers.

I now own

a kawasaki/maruyama 750
stihl br600
redmax ebz8001, ebz7100
poulan PPBP30

and my new toy, a like new, one tank, ebz8500 from the redmax dealer

The ebz8500 is impressive, better than my old king the ebz8001.

The ebz8500 should not be compared to the kawasaki, echo, stihl......it's that much better, AND it should not be compared because it's that much heavier as well.

I'd like to test it against the big shiny 2-stroke...I think it gives up 3cc's but they seem very close spec wise.

Two years after the last thread post and I'm looking at a Stihl BR 600 Magnum, as my other Stihl equipment has been great. Came across Brad's comments on the 2-stroke Shindaiwa EB802, and am wondering if it still holds, as they've had another two years to improve the 4-stroke EB854 and it has more power.

I'm pulling wet maple and oak leaves out of large lawns & brush and trying to launch them through black raspberry bushes into the surrounding woods. All three blowers are great, but air volume across the lawn is important, then velocity to get them through the berries becomes important, as is the longevity of the blower unit. The thought is the EB854 with a standard long nozzle (74mm) should make short work of the yard, then the 64mm nozzle should get them through the berry bushes, and hopefully in the long run the unit will be fairly maintenance free, although Echo seems to be having quality issues lately, yet still this is a different line of Echo products. Stihl seems to have fixed their issues with the BR 600, but are the new ones holding up?

The difference in price and weight isn't an issue, as a reliable unit that gets the job done is top priority. What are current suggestions for this application?

I love my 600, but after a few recent threads it seems the new Husky 580 gets the nod for CFM...about 30% more which is huge.

That's what I would likely get if I had to buy one today, not sure if Shindaiwa has a comparable unit, need to check that out.

Redmax ebz7xxx series are my pick. Better "scrubbing" ability than the 8xxx. In terms of simple reliability, the BR600 and or Shindaiwa 854 aren't contenders. Too many moving parts. Each has around 30 moving parts to fail that simply aren't there to fail on a 2-smoke. No big deal for a home owner that will see limited use. A serious consideration for a commercial operation that can't afford down time. No valve to drop, no belt to break. The Husqvarna 570/ 580 are mechanically identical to the Redmax 7xxx/8xxx with an improved harness. They are more comfortable.

The Echos are very good too, but fuel consumption was significantly greater than the strato engines. For some reason the big blowers from echo don't seem to have that "Toyota reliability" the rest of the line seems to have.

The br600 may well be improved. Simply put, less moving parts = less to fail.

I have a Billy Goat. Wouldn't part with that unit. But sure would like to play with a Back Pack. Now to pick one or two to get started lol.

Latest posts

Back