What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
I just like to keep it simple. I hear the bugs have been worked out of the BR600, but I also hear that Stihl is doing away with their 4-mix trimmers and going to a strato engine.

The BR6 is badass. I know some find bugs with them but I use one ever summer where it gets the complete and utter **** beat out of it. Badly.

And it's still kikkin' a$$ each and every time it gets used. Fires up on the 2nd pull no questions asked. And when I say this thing is beat, I mean it is BEAT!!

You'd be nuts not to get one but that's just my opinion!! :)

You are listing the with tube cfm for the Br600, and the without tube cfm for the Kawasaki. If you compare them both with tube they are 712cfm Stihl and 720 cfm Kawasaki.

Echo or Redmax for a blower. I have the 770 and as far as a blower goes it puts Jenna Jameson to shame. I've never tried a Stihl or Shindaiwa, their reputations speak for themselves of course. If specs are anything like they are with saws its about 75% BS anyhow. I have some landscaper buddies that really beat their equipment, their saws might be Stihl or Husky but blowers and weed whackers are always Echo or RedMax.

Last edited:
After reading several threads on other websites, I'm heavily leaning towards the Shiny or Echo. The Redmax 8001 had excellent reviews, but the new 8050, not so much. They say it's been choked down by the EPA. Oddly enough, I compared the IPLs for both, and didn't find one PN in the engine or fan housing to be different. The Redmax is the heaviest though. So how does the build quality of the Echo compare to the Shiny?

Sure the BR600 is a great strong blower. But just like in chainsaws, it's gets a lot of it's rave reviews simply because it's a Stihl and lots of people use them. That doesn't automatically make it the best. Unless you've compared it to the competition, recommending it doesn't really mean much to me. They're all good blowers. I'm looking for the best, reguardless of the brand.

Last edited:
Echo owns Shindaiwa, both are good machines, both are tried and true. The 770 I have drinks fuel..it is moving some serious air though. I am sure the others are fine machines too. Echo has an excellent reputation in the blower industry and is made in USA, that answers question for me.

The echo also carries a full 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
I love my BR600 Brad, and I am sure you are correct when you speak of brand bias when people speak of and buy a Stihl product. I always liked shindiawa saws also, so when are you going to get a 757 shinny?

It's funny this thread just came up....I called my grounds keeper buddy and asked him about what the best blower was last night since I plan to buy one soon. Echo. The guy ran crews that kept up golf courses for 20 years and now runs the ground crew that keeps up Tulsa Public schools grounds.....that's nearly 100 schools.

Just like the poster above mentioned....Stihl/Husky saws, but Echo on the blowers and trimmers.

Tony

Last edited:
After reading several threads on other websites, I'm heavily leaning towards the Shiny or Echo. The Redmax 8001 had excellent reviews, but the new 8050, not so much. They say it's been choked down by the EPA. Oddly enough, I compared the IPLs for both, and didn't find one PN in the engine or fan housing to be different. The Redmax is the heaviest though. So how does the build quality of the Echo compare to the Shiny?

Sure the BR600 is a great strong blower. But just like in chainsaws, it's gets a lot of it's rave reviews simply because it's a Stihl and lots of people use them. That doesn't automatically make it the best. Unless you've compared it to the competition, recommending it doesn't really mean much to me. They're all good blowers. I'm looking for the best, reguardless of the brand.

The only difference between the EBZ8001 & EBZ8050 is the gas tank. Same engine, carb, muffler, impeller, & housing. The Redmax blowers do gain power after they get some hours on them. So if somebody had a 8001 that had some hours on it then compared it to a new 8050 the 8001 will seem stronger.

I've used:
Redmax
EB7000
EB7001
EBZ3000
EBZ5100
EBZ7100
EBZ8000
EBZ8001
EBZ8050

Dolmar
PB7601.4 4 Stroke

Also tried out the Echo PB770 and the Shindaiwa EB854 last fall. The echo ran good but I didn't like the power or feel of the Shindaiwa. Also ran a Stihl BR600 a few years back it didn't seem to have the overall power of the redmax's.

The Dolmar PB7601.4 is a nice runner it dosen't have the power of the EBZ8001/8050 but i'd say it runs close to the EBZ7100. The PB7601.4 is also lighter than the big redmax's.

Steve

You'll likely be happy with any of the blower you have listed. I personally own a Shin 8510 and I've had zero issues with it. I take care of two three acre properties and one rental property, In the fall I run my blower for hours and hours, so Shin makes a durable product. The down fall of the big Shin is the weight and complexity.

With all that said if I didn't get my blower close to dealer cost, I would have a two cycle blower like the Redmax. I'd like to say get the BR600 but they still seem to have some issues in the long run + it's still a 4-mix. The kaw's are made by Maruyama and are very reliable units. I have my doubts on the Echo's Specs, they seem to always inflate their numbers, but if they're right I'd get the Echo.

Last edited:
Br 600

I have been maintaining a half dozen BR600's for a landscaping company for many years. I'm very happy with the performance and reliability, but when the 4-mixes loose their crank seals it's cost prohibitve to repair them. I think the ethonal in the gas contributes to thier failure. The owner is satisfied with the value, but I have a hard time tossing an otherwise good blower because it takes two hours to repalce a $20 seal.

Brad I made a quick video of my 8510 just for the hell of it. Was a bit hard to keep the camera pointed in the right spot while using the blower, but you guys will get the idea. These new backpack blowers are a blast to run "pun intended" I would guess any of the big blowers would preform just as well.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xlmm9E2Pm4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
echo 755

i have used the 750 and 755, for 10 years.they are very nice,no issue with them.k

I have the pre strato Redmax. I am not a commercial user but I have lots of leaves to deal with every year, plus other misc uses and it has been flawless to date.

I know there are lots of good blowers on the market. The 4-mix motors have had a few issues in the past,and i have heard some comment of them being replaced w/stratos' as well. But a week or so ago,we had the oppertunity to look at a documented 2000+ hour br600. The owner had run ultra in it exclusively @ 40:1. They put a digital hour meter,that runs/records off the plug wire, on it when new. The inside of that engine still looked new. The owner does all his own service/maint. He had 2 others that were used as much as this one,and still ran great. They went through all 3,new rings, gaskets,and seals,and i would imagine they will use them a few more seasons. The 4-mix was designed to satisfy the epa,but i would say its built pretty well after seeing that one.

After reading several threads on other websites, I'm heavily leaning towards the Shiny or Echo.

I did hours of reading last summer and came away thinking the eb802rt is what I would get......

But I have not gotten one yet. Pretty sure that is the one I would still get though.

Waylan

The only difference between the EBZ8001 & EBZ8050 is the gas tank. Same engine, carb, muffler, impeller, & housing. The Redmax blowers do gain power after they get some hours on them. So if somebody had a 8001 that had some hours on it then compared it to a new 8050 the 8001 will seem stronger.

I've used:
Redmax
EB7000
EB7001
EBZ3000
EBZ5100
EBZ7100
EBZ8000
EBZ8001
EBZ8050

Dolmar
PB7601.4 4 Stroke

Also tried out the Echo PB770 and the Shindaiwa EB854 last fall. The echo ran good but I didn't like the power or feel of the Shindaiwa. Also ran a Stihl BR600 a few years back it didn't seem to have the overall power of the redmax's.

The Dolmar PB7601.4 is a nice runner it dosen't have the power of the EBZ8001/8050 but i'd say it runs close to the EBZ7100. The PB7601.4 is also lighter than the big redmax's.

Steve

Thanks for chiming in Steve. I was actually going to call you tomorrow and ask you that very question. BTW, have you run the Shiny 802? It seems to always get great reviews as well.

Brad I made a quick video of my 8510 just for the hell of it. Was a bit hard to keep the camera pointed in the right spot while using the blower, but you guys will get the idea. These new backpack blowers are a blast to run "pun intended" I would guess any of the big blowers would preform just as well.

Why didn't you just go ahead and roll the cars and trucks around the yard while you were at it:clap:

Latest posts

Back