Whats the Best Chain for cutting Palm trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Whats the Best Chain for cutting Palm trees?

I have a gazillion Cabbage Palm, 12" DBH, 60' CT and 12"diameter there too.

Palm is soft, for sure. But it can be sandy.

Not that I'm really caring, I can sharpen chain, but I can also get chains better suited as needed. I don't have a big quiver of saws, but I am working on it. I figure I ought to be paying attention too, and build a quiver of chain as well?

not sure, but

if it can be sandy I would use s semi chisel not the fastest,but if theres grit it will dull ALOT slower.

And clean your saw well after!!!!!!

Or................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

117202351_wkSB2-L.jpg

I would recommend Stihl RMC which is semi chisel...

It really works well in a sandy condition like you have..and it also is easy to sharpen..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I was about to write that palm sap is supposed to be very aggressive to magnesium but Brad got a nice photo before! Maybe a cheap "plastic" saw (with muff mod) might be a better alternative if you don't want to endanger your existing saws.

Last edited:
Yes, I think Semi Chis is prolly best, but I wanted to hear from Palm belt cutters too...

I may be playing with them like Lincoln Logs.

Or rough carving for Tiki Gods. I am close to having a quiver of 021 and 029, and really want to run one pitch and guage on all of them, as best as I can, so I could buy a roll, and cut to lenght.

Course, I like to make firewood for fun too.

Problem I'm having is most Palm is either Trimmed/trimming or cut down and hauled. No one ever makes any more cuts in palms than they need to.

Yes, I think Semi Chis is prolly best, but I wanted to hear from Palm belt cutters too...

Course, I like to make firewood for fun too.

Problem I'm having is most Palm is either Trimmed/trimming or cut down and hauled. No one ever makes any more cuts in palms than they need to.
Are you saying that you would use palm tree for firewood in an enclosed environment..like your home fireplace..??
J2F

Are you saying that you would use palm tree for firewood in an enclosed environment..like your home fireplace..??
J2F

DOH! Is that not good? It is wood isn't it? It burns in Swamp and Brush fires....

No J2- I don't burn the palms. (you really can't get them dry, and they have zero mass. And they pop like jiffy pop. I do have Oak of Seven kinds and Pignut Hickory, Sweet gum and Magnolia, Beech and Poplar.

I don't have a fireplace at the beach and at the ranch we pretty much make glass on the ground during the winter.

The ranch is an Oak Hammock, so all trees are tall and straight trying to find light.

I've made Tiki Faces from scratch with mallet an' chisel.

And I know how to post and beam frame.

I was mostly curious if there was going to be a chain that can stand the fiber in the Palm.

I'm no Arboristst or Horridculturist, but I'm not entirely sure that all palms can be thought of as corrosive. It could be a product of the soils. there are literlly hundreds of palm varieties as well.

I generally keep my saws douched with a water hose blast, and they are likely going to be 021 and 029 family plastisaws.

Yeah..burn that crap in a fire-pit or something..NOT in your home.

There are homes with fireplaces in northern Florida...

And even a few in southern Florida...but rare...mostly a novelty..!!
J2F

I do volunteer work at a park/reserve in SW Florida, and helped the county staff cut and remove some palms. They used the top of the bar to cut through the trees. The staff told me that palm tree wood is composed of fibers and by using the top of the bar the cuttings were expelled away from the saw instead of being pulled into it. When cutting the stump close to the ground, they stripped away the stalks before making the cut. From what I could see, they used semi-chisel chain.

Back