What's the best way to get to Masdens from Seattle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best way to get to Masdens from Seattle?

• Taxi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hire a pickup for the day

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Hire a Harley

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Brave the Seattle bus station

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm considering passing through the US on my way from Oz to Canada and thinking about stopping off in Seattle and going out to Masdens.

So what's the best way to get there?

Bob...take a truck.

A word to the wise...Save yourself some grief. When you get to Madsens, don't go inside. Just make a list of what you want, throw the list and your credit card in the door and pick up your purchases out on the loading dock. :)

If you go inside you're doomed. That place is like a candy store for grownups. If it's about saws or anything related to logging, they have it. They probably have several different kinds of it. Their prices are fair and if you get there early enough check out the free donuts and coffee over by the wood stove. Have some of the donuts...you won't have enough money left over for lunch.

When you're done there, drive down to California and check out Bailey's retail shop in Woodland. Same deal...but no donuts. Yet.

A word to the wise...Save yourself some grief. When you get to Madsens, don't go inside. Just make a list of what you want, throw the list and your credit card in the door and pick up your purchases out on the loading dock. :)

If you go inside you're doomed. That place is like a candy store for grownups. If it's about saws or anything related to logging, they have it. They probably have several different kinds of it. Their prices are fair and if you get there early enough check out the free donuts and coffee over by the wood stove. Have some of the donuts...you won't have enough money left over for lunch.

When you're done there, drive down to California and check out Bailey's retail shop in Woodland. Same deal...but no donuts. Yet.

Thanks gologit, I am in double trouble because on the one hand I know I won't necessarily be back that way too often and on the other will have to get back on a plane.

Thanks gologit, I am in double trouble because on the one hand I know I won't necessarily be back that way too often and on the other will have to get back on a plane.

You're welcome. Seriously though, that place is a marvel. I'll buy lunch for anybody that can go in there, walk around, and walk out the door without buying something. I couldn't...and I'm famous for being a cheapskate.

Some of the PNW people can fine tune my advice a little but you just have to see that place for yourself. You might check Quantas...see what it'll cost for them to lease you your own airplane for the return trip to Oz.

I'd rent a car. Or pickup. Here's what Madsen's looks like. I was there yesterday. There is a run down looking gas station on the NW corner and a bank on the NE corner. Madsen's is on the SE corner. You'll probably google how to get there. I'm kind of a local but I don't pay attention to street names and I go to there from the south.
attachment.php

Since you are in the neighborhood, a store that has a few aisles of rigging clothes is just down the road a ways...Sunbirds. They sometimes have good prices on Carharts and are lower priced than Madsen's on clothing. It is a locally owned store which has survived a few floods.

Then, you might check out the other good saw shop. It isn't as large as Madsen's but they have every Stihl set out on shelves so you can fondle them. They do a lot of business also and I'll vouch for them being an excellent saw source. Twinkle and The Barbie Saw were both adopted from here.
attachment.php

To get to Service Saw from Madsen's drive south on the same one way street, and take the inside, east lane. It'll force you to turn right over an overpass with railroad tracks underneath. Then, you'll see some logging equipment on the left, (south) and a Shell gas station. Turn left here and you'll see Service Saw. They have popcorn and coffee too. Be sure and make the turn or you'll head over to the h e l l of WalMart and be stuck in a traffic circle forever. :)

An interesting side trip? Head back into Centralia and go to the Olympic Club. It is kind of yuppieized but they have good beer on tap and have an exceptionally large urinal in the men's room. :) We had a field trip there one night and a tour. :)

I'd rent a car. Or pickup. Here's what Madsen's looks like. I was there yesterday. There is a run down looking gas station on the NW corner and a bank on the NE corner. Madsen's is on the SE corner. You'll probably google how to get there. I'm kind of a local but I don't pay attention to street names and I go to there from the south.
attachment.php

Since you are in the neighborhood, a store that has a few aisles of rigging clothes is just down the road a ways...Sunbirds. They sometimes have good prices on Carharts and are lower priced than Madsen's on clothing. It is a locally owned store which has survived a few floods.

Then, you might check out the other good saw shop. It isn't as large as Madsen's but they have every Stihl set out on shelves so you can fondle them. They do a lot of business also and I'll vouch for them being an excellent saw source. Twinkle and The Barbie Saw were both adopted from here.
attachment.php

To get to Service Saw from Madsen's drive south on the same one way street, and take the inside, east lane. It'll force you to turn right over an overpass with railroad tracks underneath. Then, you'll see some logging equipment on the left, (south) and a Shell gas station. Turn left here and you'll see Service Saw. They have popcorn and coffee too. Be sure and make the turn or you'll head over to the h e l l of WalMart and be stuck in a traffic circle forever. :)

An interesting side trip? Head back into Centralia and go to the Olympic Club. It is kind of yuppieized but they have good beer on tap and have an exceptionally large urinal in the men's room. :) We had a field trip there one night and a tour. :)

And how,praytell do you know about the men's urinal?:laugh:

Its a bit of a drive, a rental car would be the best bet, but if do plan to try and get there and Its a day I'm in town (home), I'll pick you up at the airport and drive you there.

Your part is to buy me a beer and have some good stories from down under.

Madsen's directions

I'd rent a car if I knew how to find I-5.

1408 South Gold Street, Centralia, Washington

Head south on I-5 and continue to exit 79 in Centralia. Take exit 79 and take a left to head back across the freeway. As you continue you will reach another road that forces you to turn left or right. Take a left on the road.

Continue for 2-3 miles. Madsens is a big building on the left about a block off this road. If you keep an eye out for it, it would be pretty hard to miss.

There are a couple of other saw shops in the vicinity of the 79 overpass if you are so inclined.

Back