Whats the best wood for carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some would say Western Cedar. It resists rot and insects as well as being soft enough to carve quickly and hard enough to hold fairly good detail.

My favorite is Sycamore...

Basswood for hand carving, anything goes for the chainsaw guys , cedars are prefered because the bugs hate them and they won't rot..

Butternut is nice, soft enough to work easy but much more attractive than basswood. Does not split off as easy as cedar.

agreed! It is becoming very difficult to get here in East Ontario as it was added to a threatened spiecies list. A few years ago it could be had by the truckload for a couple bucks a BF.

Balsa is too soft won't detail just crushes and tears.

it was a joke the OP is a troll. he,ll be advertising carving wood on here now.

me personnally like ERC

IM001478.jpg

The Bamboo is One of the best Wood For Carving.Because it is very Soft.So that there is not need to work hard.it also used For a making a Flue.One Major Thing is That there is no wood in between of woods.

+1 for Basswood. If you're gonna paint it, it's soft enough to carve but takes fine detail.
My favorite wood to see carved for it's grain is bois d'arc and we have a ton of it down here.

Latest posts

Back