Whats the first NEW chainsaw you ever purchased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "factory reconditioned" McCulloch. When the handle broke off the third time I used it, I bought a new 036 Pro.

I can't remember what year (or maybe don't want to), but the first new saw I bought was a Husqvarna 2100XP, Next was a Pioneer P-62. Both saws are just a distant memory.

Andy

NWCS said:
back when i had my first job and i was making money.. i decided i needed my own chainsaw, as dads Echo CS-302 was just old and tired.. after a stihl dealer talked me out of an 009 because "the lay down cylinder loads up with gas and it has problems" i went to another place and bought a Poulan Pro 255 (was about 1994 or so) i still have that saw and it still runs.. just needs a thread insert for the front handlebar mount (the one in the cyl)
to this day i wonder why the dealer didnt want me to have that 009..

http://homepages.tscnet.com/dedcow/poulan.jpg
http://homepages.tscnet.com/dedcow/poulan2.jpg

Bar is a GB Powertech.. this bar is what got me not ever wanting a GB...
got the bar about 1997 or so. saw has been pretty much sitting unused for 5 years now..
Stihl 038 Magnum.

woodfarmer said:
my first new saw was a 1990 jonny 625, great saw within 6 months it walked out of our garage with a mac 610, so i bought another '91 625II, still have it today, runs as good as new. cuts stronger than my 038, not bad for being light 8cc. p.s. the garage is never unlock again.
Woodfarmer, please hang on to that Jonny 625 II, and keep in touch here, I may need it for parts someday..;)

I always borrowed my dads Homelite`s when I lived at home in the 80`s. Then I moved away and had to purchase my own. I bought an 066 and a 029 on the same day. I sold the 029 and purchased an 026 a year later when I saw a couple of 029`s that the crankshaft flew out of at my local saw shop. I still have both saws and use them frequently.

Glenn

Have never bought a saw but my first experience with needing a chain saw was a rental and it was a Sachs-Dolmar 123, then a couple of years later Sachs-Dolmar moved to Shreveport, LA and I went to work for them.

The first new saw got was this year a husqvarna 350 very happy with it. Me and my dad are trying to get his old 031av running, but he is thinking about getting a 350 or a stihl ms290 or 310.

lowboy2200 said:
The first new saw got was this year a husqvarna 350 very happy with it. Me and my dad are trying to get his old 031av running, but he is thinking about getting a 350 or a stihl ms290 or 310.

Welcome to this site lowboy. I think you made a good choice for a first saw. Take good care of it and it should last you many years.:)

You sound like a younger man so I will offer some free advice (worth exactly what you are paying for it)...learn all you can about proper care and regular maintenance. You can find lots of interesting posts here about the best gasoline, 2-cycle mix, chain and bar oil for best operation of your saw. These recommendations may differ from your dealers advice so take them with a "grain of salt". Also, you will find excellent information on carb adjustments and what to look and listen for to get peak performance without damaging your powerhead. Finally, the most frequent task (other than filling the tanks with bar oil and sawgas) is shapening your chain and maintaining your guide bar. Most of the members here have learned alot and will share their knowledge freely.

Congrats and good luck with your new Husky!:blob2:

My first new saw was a Partner S65 back in 81. I still have that saw, and then last year I purchased an EHP 7900 from Hunter and a 488 Shin from a local dealer.
The Partner is retired, the Dolmar for the bigger stuff and the 488 for the smaller.
Jeff

My first saw was an Echo 280 bought in 1985. I still use the saw when I climb. I bought it from my boss at the time. He had bought 5 for his tree company for a good price. He used the saw about 2 weeks after I bought it and wanted to buy it back it was the best running saw out of the five. I know I had a good thing so I keep it. This saw will not die and that OK with me. It sure looks bad on the outside from swing around below my saddle hitting stuff. But runs like a champ.:blob2:

Ethan

My first saw was a brand new Stihl 028AV Super I bought in 1985. Six months later, I bought a new Jonsered 630 Super and both saws are still going strong today.

Pro Mac 55 in the early 70's.

I still have it, and it still runs good, at least it did last time i used it.

Rob

Latest posts

Back