what's the maximum grade for a feller buncher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodville

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering at what percent grade of a slope you guys can safely work at. Is there a gage that tells you what angle your at or alarm if you over do it. Or is it just go until you slide or can't move up hill anymore? How do you know if your bidding a job if your machine can do it?

I know guys who flopped them on slight sidehills.

And guys who run them on 60% slopes. It depends on the operator and the machine. A lot on the operator. I don't run them but have been around them. Rocky ground is not a good thing if steep. Likewise for big old stumps.

The guy who went on steep ground last year, he actually was running a processor, said he could go on steep, but didn't dare reach out very far. He slipped on some rocky spots, but didn't tip over.

4 wheeled fellerbuncher wouldn't go greater than 20% slope sideslope. Thats flat. Tracked buncher or processor with self levelling cab, can go 50% or more, but productivity plummets above 40%. Also they are more dependant on avg. diameter to maintain optimal productivity than hand felling. We call 'em feller#######. Those processors do incredible things when it comes to utilization though.

Last edited:
I have a wheeled feller buncher and would never go back. If it had a gauge in it you would never look at it becuase it would always be in the red! I swear im going to flip it atleast 10 times a day!

Depends on the machine (tracks/wheels, self leveling cab/fixed, what type of head, the machines reach, etc....) But I've seen machines used on 50-60% slopes.

Latest posts

Back