What's the most common log length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most common log length

• Total voters

VTWoodChucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at a machine that has a 19" log length capacity. Want to use this machine commercially and was wondering if this is too short. What is the most common length people burn?

You might want to try the Firewood forum......, most sawyers prefer the logs well over the 8' range!

For firewood I think the common sizes are a regional thing, 16" is pretty standard in these parts, and many burners with newer epa stoves like 14". Myself I am not to picky so long as its under 24".

I buck my logs to 8.5-9 ft or 10.5-11 ft to fit on 8 ft or 10 ft drying racks respectively. I have a helluva time getting them into the fireplace, though.

ive "milled" quite a few 16"ers. while splitting firewood if i like a grain pattern or see some nice figure,ill rough square them on the splitter then plane them down to working block size.

A while ago, before I had wood out the ying-yang, a local builder cut down a large white oak just up the street and cut it into 16"-20" sections. I couldn't stand seeing all that go to firewood, so I rough quartered the longer sections from the butt end with a maul and cut about a hundred 5/4" quartersawn boards. The ones that didn't dry flat get a couple whacks from a hatchet and become firewood. The good ones make nice drawer fronts. It's amazing how often a 16" piece of wood is long enough. Every now and then when I'm splitting oak firewood, I'll see nice ray fleck and get tempted, but I've managed to avoid temptation so far. Besides, my storage is full up and I still have about 50 of the short oak pieces left. If I had walnut, though, I'd mill pieces down to 12 inches.

Asking a question

I know this is not the right place but can't find one. What is the price of Vermeer logs. Other places they talk about big bucks for a 9 ft 32 inch log. Around here is running about $35.00 a log. I started cutting mine in to firewood I got a message we are getting the shaft. I'm in southern Illinois where can I haul them to for good money CRThomas

Latest posts

Back