What's the reason for a rotary carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerlakejens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I realize this is a little off topic but there seems to be a lot of knowledge available here. Why do most hedge trimmers have a rotary style carb? My local repair shop claims its better to replace than rebuild them. Mine is a Walbro WY. Any comments?

The way they meter fuel allows for a fairly accurate mixture at part throttle operation, something a butterfly carb is not good at.

What sedanman said. There is just one fuel nozzle into the throat and the barrel valve carb simply provides better fuel metering throughout the range. Makes it easier for engine makers to tweak everything from performance to emissions.

As far as replacing them it depends on a gut feeling when doing inspection. If the purge system is suspect I replace the carb. The check valves in these things tend to stick due to bad fuel and even good but reformulated fuels. Most are replaceable only by ordering the pump body and if you have the cost of a repair kit, pump body and your labor you're about even with just installing a complete new carb. Zama's are more suspect of needing replacement then Walbro in my experiences.

The check valve deal is actually true for the butterfly/cube carb but the barrel carbs tend to cost less for a new one then many of the cube carbs. Depends a lot on just that, replacement cost versus correct repair cost.

Latest posts

Back