What's The Tallest Tree You've Climbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have climbed multiple 150' tulips to inspect the lightning protection. Got to go the the very tippy top to make sure the copper is as high as possible. First limbs weren't until 100' so I used the BS to set a line and then footlocked on up. After that I used either alternating lanyards or if I couldn't reach the next branch I carried a throwball in the tree with me. Needed ever bit of my 200' rope to enter and exit those trees. But hopefully that number will change if I get a chance next year to make it out to Oregon for a nights sleep up some giants.

Blinky said:
What's worse, that wasn't my last embarrassment in that tree.:buttkick: Definitely the tallest one I've climbed in my brief career... when can we do a taller one?!!:bowdown:
Did you forget to tell me something? I found a handpruner in a red pouch when I cleaned up today. hope there are no other surprises, froggie--I already billed the city for that job.
I have a bigger pine to prune, maybe next month.

re eucalypts (slight derail) when I was in california last week I heard about some native plant movement wanting to eradicate them all. Frickin whacko nutcases.:deadhorse:

Nothing too tall around here, 40-60 feet about average. But every now and then we run into a freakishly tall one. Been over 100 feet in sycamore, tulip, cottonwood, sugar maple, silver maple, red oak, and some oddly tall larch. Tallest was two cottonwoods I took down in Rochester on the Lake Ontario shore. The top ten feet of one broke out and hung up, so the owner decided they needed to come down-they were just getting too big to withstand the wind. Climbed up the first one with the broken top and set my block to rope it down. Figured my 300' bull rope was long enough but my groundie told me to make sure. Sure enough, the 300' was about 8' short after running up the tree, through the block, and back down to the ground. (Measured the rope the next day to be sure it was 300'.) And the other one was just as tall-fun day!! The owner told us later that those two trees were so tall, when he was out on the lake, he'd look back at the shore, and those two trees stood head and shoulders taller than anything else there. Both of those were climbed with spikes.
Ran into a stand of loblollys down in Poughkeepsie several years ago. Rode up 70' in a bucket, hopped out and spiked up that much more again.
But nothing like those guys out west-that has got to be fun!!

treeseer said:
Did you forget to tell me something? I found a handpruner in a red pouch when I cleaned up today. hope there are no other surprises, froggie--I already billed the city for that job.
I have a bigger pine to prune, maybe next month.

Nope, no surprises... I hate surprises.
I was referring to when the limb snapped under my foot and I swung into the trunk. It hurt a little at the time, no big deal... then I woke up early Sunday AM about 1:30A aching from head to toe... felt like I'd been in a car wreck.

The pruner in the red bag is mine. I'll be over in the AM to shoot pictures if that's still on and then head over to Alexander to fix the fence after. I'll get the fence Wednesday if there's not enough time tomorrow.

In spite of my mistakes, that was a fine time climbing and pruning. I really like those big trees (the pecan was kinda scratchy though). That was my first time working my tie-in up a tree without gaffs. I'll keep working on my efficiency... definitely adding a throwbag to the saddle next time. Thanks again for the opportunity.

I'd say the most I have ever been up is about 90' or so. Might have a 125' tulip to do down in Armonk come mid winter... we shall see though.

Are those monster eucs everyone is climbing the same smelly tree that homeowners like to plant near their houses here in the southeast?
If so, isn't that wood very brittle?

woodchux said:
Are those monster eucs everyone is climbing the same smelly tree that homeowners like to plant near their houses here in the southeast?
If so, isn't that wood very brittle?
Darn those derailleurs...The little roundleafed eucs in the SE are not the same as the big ones in california and florida. I measured the county champion roundleafed one here in nc and it was not 25'. And not that brittle, come to think about it...I was glad to trim it; got a lot of potpourri material to take home, to cover up smells.:fart:

Ive been about 150' in a Cottonwood removal. Was parked about 15 foot from the house.

Tried cell phone tower work last winter, our work site was at 428'. That was a view!

I worked on a crew with Jerry B. trimming a redwood on HYW 101 in NorCal. Cannot remember the highth though. Frans might be able to help me, or Young Nick.

I footlocked 3/4 up the first day, then they had a winch line I could get on the second day. there were no less then 7 people in the tree at any given time.

150 ft. Poplar when I was new to climbing. Went all the way to the top just to deadwood six branches. The cool thing about trimming a tall tree is that it takes a lot longer for that branch to hit the ground. Gives you a few seconds to think about how high up you are and to take in the view.

400ft crab-apple

dont think trees round hear get much bigger than 100ft but im very willing to go bigger. i have 10 yrs climbing exp on the east coast but dont think im mental or physically ready to rig down any spreading monster mountain ash in small quarters like a_loppa and some of u other cowboys do wow:jawdrop:

Jerry Beranek and I guided some Danish arborists friends of mine for three days of redwood climbing. Three of us went up a 320' redwood. At about 250' I stopped to let the Danes top-out. We didn't have enough gear or time for three of us to summit. Since it would be much easier for me to repeat the climb I spent the time enjoying the view.

Tom Dunlap said:
Jerry Beranek and I guided some Danish arborists friends of mine for three days of redwood climbing. Three of us went up a 320' redwood. At about 250' I stopped to let the Danes top-out. We didn't have enough gear or time for three of us to summit. Since it would be much easier for me to repeat the climb I spent the time enjoying the view.

Is that along Bull Creek in Humboldt? Nice looking tree, amazing the way it's standing out there all by itself without a grove to shelter it from wind.
-moss

moss said:
What's up with the eucs on Catalina Island? Are they Eucalyptus regnans? I'd heard that they'd been classified as invasives and slated for removal. It's too bad if they'rer all being taken out since they must be the tallest hardwood or deciduous trees in North America.
-moss
Mike, they are huge! I dont know if they were invasive, but the City of Long Beach wanted them brought down to under 80 feet for thier cranes to remove the rest. They were over a bunch of quansant huts on Pebbley Beach. Some limbs took about 15 minutes to lower, redirect, etc.... I stayed on the Island for 5 months and did side jobs also. I did the palm on their phone book and Tony Dow's tree {Wally Cleaver}. Sure like it there.
Jeff Lovstrom

been up close to around 200' windfirming second growth douglas fir....hadn't really been climbing that lone either...scaaarred..... the best is when we grapple from tree to tree, you're in between the tree you're tied into and the one your grapple or 'claw' is in, looking down, wondering what the hell kinda job do i do....the furthest distance i've clawed between trees is probably 40 or so feet...got to my tree, threw my strap around it, and stood there for a bit with shaky legs....

Tom wins, by far. Tall is cool, the view is cool, seeing all the people watching, you know the women are all thinking that you are the man. I like chucking down blocks from high up, makes you think...what if.

Back