Whats this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of saw this is and how it's powered ?
Photo is from 1953.

Just a guess

The ring, or rotary saw sure seems right. It looks like that might be an air hose running up to it. First guess is that it is an air driven saw. Second guess is that it's an electric saw, but I don't see anything that looks big enough to be a motor. Either those, or something else. There are some real experts and saw historian's that hang out here. We'll probably know soon. Any info on the picture other than date? JR

i would think its the Hamilton saw,but i dont no. the Hamilton saw was a hand crank and looked like a spinning wheel

attachment.php
Anyone know what kind of saw this is and how it's powered ?
Photo is from 1953.

I was looking at the guy's feet and trying to decide if either one was in a position to be working a treadle.

it'd need too much power for a human to drive it, especially an old geezer like that. I'd think compressed air drive, since there's no return line to see I'd rule out hydraulic power. Bowden cable is unlikely. Possibly it was electric? I'd love to find out.

it'd need too much power for a human to drive it, especially an old geezer like that. I'd think compressed air drive, since there's no return line to see I'd rule out hydraulic power. Bowden cable is unlikely. Possibly it was electric? I'd love to find out.
i think its electric by looking at the thing turning the blade

Well

I don't think it's electric because I don't see anything big enough to be a motor. To power a saw cutting that size wood with any efficiency would take a pretty good sized motor in my opinion. I blew this up to 800 percent and although grainy I couldn't see any sign of an electric motor. As far as the feet go, it looks like one is just bracing the end that sits on the ground, and the other foot is flat on the ground, could be something under there like a treadle but no sign of it. I think that there is a valve of some kind in his hand, but not sure. Have you tried this over on the Acers site? JR

Back