Whats with the 064 Stihl??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtTroll

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hardly ever see a 064 for sale and when I do It's bid on like crazy on ebay. what's the deal? I always heard that the 066 was it for stihls big saws, but the 064 seems to draw much more demand (money). The 088, I've heard from people that actually used them for a living to be unreliable, but the 066 near bulletproof. So why the great demand for the 064. Is this like some great not talked about saw?

The MS660, along with most all recent Stihl's, have tiny, overly restrictive muffler ports, that must be enlarged, if you want the saws to have the power of old, and want them to last.

The 064 had smaller displacement, and is not such a highly tuned machine. The dual port 066, not sold for several years now, is one of the best saws ever, in stock form...at least till the Dolmar 7900 came out.

088?

Steve here...
The 088 not dependable...Reallly? My wife likes mine, says it runs good

As for the 064 cmanding blood on Ebay..Most clean saws do. I would guess that 064 may have gone to a collector.
Steven

I have asked this same question to a full time logger and he told me the 064 is just better. He said they lasted longer. Maybe this is just someone resisting change?

TJACK

Dennis Cahoon told me he likes the 064 for logging/felling also. I think it has about the same power as the 066 but that must be due to increased compression or other work done to it. It was a very good saw. Mike

064 - 84.9cc, 6.5hp, 15.2lb

066M - 91.6cc, 7.8hp, 16.4lb

(Those were 1993 specs.)

The MS 660M now rates 7hp with the "strangler" muffler and limited carb. Still a fantastic saw if you mitigate those issues.

064 may still be available overseas (?)
Was told many 064's did heavy service in S America and Asia.

The 064 is less maintenance due to the fact that is uses a smaller top end but has the same beefy bearings that the 066 does. Kind of like the difference between a Husky 372 and 365. There are west coast purists here still using and rebuilding 064s, but then again there are guys here that still swear by Pioneer P-62s. I think they've ate too much exhaust in their lifetimes.

Ive got some 064's layin around. I dont like them. Seems like they just dont have the grunt the 66's do.

Ive been using my old redlight special 066 for 4 years everyday.

Still runs as good as it did when it was new. Its got the dual port muffler.

Which years did they make those redlight 066's? Weren't they the "digital" model?

Not sure on the year, I know I had to put a new module in mine, it was wore out or some ????, wouldnt go up to about 10000 rpm

The red lights were made for about 9-10 months in late 1991/early 1992, but were discontinued due to reliability problems with the rev-limiting ignition module, as the module aged it would slowly decrease the rev-limiting range. It was a good saw for loggers, because you really couldn't blow it up. We had a cutter here ran one for five years with a leaking base gasket.

Still available in Australia, evidently.

Visit the link, under "Powerful Professional Chainsaws", <a href="http://www.stihl.com.au/products/product.cfm?iModelID=337">MS 640</a>.

They list them as <blockquote><table border="1"><tr><td align="center"><b>MS 640</b></td><td align="center"><b>MS 660 M</b></td></tr><tr><td align="center">6.4 hp</td><td align="center">7.5 hp</td></tr><tr><td align="center">15.65 lb</td><td align="center">16.09 lb</td></tr></table></blockquote>Glen

In this shop, the 66 is more reliable than the 64. I put more bearings in the 64. BUT, we also have a better air filter now than we did then.
Just sold a nice used one to a cutter that is currently using a 66. He said slightly less grunt, but he had no problem using either one.

If you want to get your hands on a 064 then I know a guy that is selling one. He tried to sell it to me and I didn't want it because I already have a 066 Arctic with a magnum muffler. His 64 is a well maintained saw that he's hardly ever used in the 20 years it's been sitting in his garage. It ran great when I tried it out.

His name is Ron McKenzie and he lives near Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada. He doesn't use the net so you wont find it on eBay.

bump for a cooool old thread....

what mods would you do on a super clean 064?

z4lunch said:
Steve here...
The 088 not dependable...Reallly? My wife likes mine, says it runs good

As for the 064 cmanding blood on Ebay..Most clean saws do. I would guess that 064 may have gone to a collector.
Steven
Great pic but it is too hard to focus on the saw:censored:

I second that 046. I just recently found a "factory" looking dual port muffler for my 064. I bought a parts saw and it had the muffler on it. Did the 064 ever come with a dual port???

Back