What's wrong in this picture ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDP

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The attached picture is a new chain I purchased at my dealersand used 5 minutes only. What is wrong in the picture ? :eek:

it looks like when put it together they didnt space it right and gave you chain that will surge in a cut

I see one sequence at the cut and rejoin break where there are 2 lefties. Perfectly normal with an odd number of drivers. Even number of drivers would have 2 sets like that if done wrong.

I also see on the bottom row at least one cutter that has been boogered already, looks run long after being dulled. Now if I go and sharpen the chain based on the worst tooth you'd complain I ruined your chain by removing to much cutter. If I don't properly sharpen the bad one you complain I didn't get it sharp. If you don't go back to that dealer you're doing him a favor.

Sorry but thats how I see it.

RDP said:
This does define it more clearly ! :Eye: :Eye:

Other posters noticed this already. If this is the problem, how would you suggest they remedy it? At certain lengths of chain (numbers of drivers) this is going to happen.

Still looks like a normal odd count driver joint to me. Check a factory made loop and you'll find the same spacing, 2 lefties/righties and what appears to be a missing cutter. If a cutter were added the spacing would be to little.

A right side cutter there would also alter the sequence, it would be 'full house' for an inch. I wonder what would be smoother to operate though. Maybe the extra tooth would be better, still no way to achieve a perfect sequence on some drive counts.

It is the only 16 incher I have this way, all others are crossed properly.

Is this a 3/8" or .325?Did you check the driver count,they could have put in one too many.

The drive link count is an odd number which gives the uneven spacing if that is what you are referring to. An even number divisible by four will give the correct sequence. An even number not divisible by four will give the correct spacing but will leave two lefts or two rights in sequence. The bar should have the drive link count stamped into it. How did you properly tension the chain if it is one drive link too long?

Sorry, I just do not see a problem. When you just work off the roll of chain then that happens. Yes you can bust down the chain in such a way so as to eliminate 2 lefts or rights in sequence(but leaving an extra space in some drive counts). Few people do that because it involves more work and wastes chain. I PREFER to have a double set of left or right cutters on the loop-That is the perfect starting point for sharpening because you get a wake up when the doubles come back around. Could they have made your chain come out even? Yes. Is it important? NO!. :angel:

xander9729, Wanna bet? Full house chain is left and right cutters in sequence with no spaces in between. You could get one more cutter in there, it would be crowded but there IS room.

Maybe Grand Dog has a picture of the full house chain that Baileys sells for the "Beam Machine" .

Last edited:
Full house

A cutter on each driver?That'a a new one on me.We refer to full house,and full compliment,as the same thing,in this neck of the woods.Cutter,space ,cutter.Full skip,is cutter ,space,space,cutter.Picture below.Stihl full chisel,full skip on top.Oregon,full chisel , full comp. on the bottom.

Sedanman is correct, full house means every tie strap is a cutter. These chains are for log home builders or for builders using a saw in 'post and beam' construction. You wouldn't want an extra cutter in that chain though, it might be a problem when grinding it. That chain is correct. Don't let inexperience lead you to believe you're being ripped off.

Latest posts

Back