whats wrong with my pecan in Okla.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randyb713

Reaction score
i live in Oklahoma and own a native pecan, its about 17' tall and i have noticed places on the trunk that look like the most perfect wound that healed and curious what is causing this. it started out as a split that formed and i figured it was from rapid growth or something but now there are alot more splits lower down and i'm getting concerned! i'm showing the split after it healed and the new cracks. The tree looks good and no spots on the leaves and gives normal amount of pecans...if someone can tell me what is wrong and how to fix it. :cry:

Rapid changes in temps often create bark splits like these, reffered to as low temp injury. If they are located on the S or SW side of the tree it could also be sun scald. Judging from the compartmentalization (callus tissue) that the tree has produced over the pruning cuts I would say they appear to have plenty of energy/vigor that should allow for natural healing to occur. A suggestion would be NOT to use any "sealant" over these wounds, as that would slow the healing process. Being from Michigan, pecans are not my specialty, hopefully someone with more experience w/these trees will chime in if it appears to be something exclusive to pecans or a SW regional issue.

The first photo shows no defects. the second photo shows some loose bark over some voids or dead spots. Take a ball peen hammer, and lightly tap the loose bark loose and re photo to show us if there are actual exposed wood, and if the tree is callousing the margins.

Latest posts

Back