What's wrong with my Sugar Maple? This pic was taken in July and you can see

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. This is an Oregon Trail Sugar Maple that I planted 2.5 years ago. A few branches started losing their leaves this June and July, and the rest lost their leaves in August and September. I made sure it got water every 7-10 days and I don't think it's girdled because it came in a soft canvas bag (not in a pot) so the roots weren't balled up. There are no chemicals nearby. It seems to have settled into the ground a bit so I have always made sure to keep the dirt down to the crown. What could be possibly be wrong with it? Should I wait until Spring to see if it comes back or just replace it now? Thanks.

Decline could be due to a plethora of issues. Most common seen on newly planted trees is improper water management and or planting hole prep.

I second the unwrap the trunk idea. Tree wraps should be removed in summer. If trunk protection is needed year round use hardware cloth. The trunk needs to breathe and to dry out after rain events.

Latest posts

Back