What's wrong with this picture...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Hold off you saw techs... let the others guess first..

A 2004 MS440... What caused it?? What 10 cent fix you be done to stop it from happening again?

Piston - past its prime

attachment.php

Carb... seen better days...

attachment.php

attachment.php

The saw is now running fine...

No flocked Air filter? Little bit of water/snow/ice got in, caused some extra detonation/higher temps in cylinder?

....go ahead, laugh, I am a newbie....:greenchainsaw: :help:

ok I'm stumped
The damage to the exhaust side of the piston is one thing but damage to the carb also :bowdown: :bowdown:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

i killed a weed whacker like this i left it on my landscaping trailer out in the open and with the small hole in the exhaust pointing up the piston was down the water went through to the carb and rust flakes and loose carbon ate my piston right up

ok 2nd guess the case got filled with water? third guess wait im about stumped on i know the inlet screen was changed/cleaned

No suckback preventer.

Sheesh, everybody knows that.
im with larry

So far I'm discouraged... you guys actually keep your own saws running??

What I showed is not uncommon - I see a couple a month that bad, and MANY with the potential.

Last edited:
this must be a west coast thing or someone beats saws more than my stepfather if thats possible, oh yea i remember you lent that saw to the neighbor isn't that how those things go?

Andy,
This is like torture, please tell us. The anticipation is killing me! AHHHHHHHH!:dizzy:

Just a guess

I'm going with either fuel or fuel filter.

I can edit for 59 more minutes if I'm wrong though:)

Latest posts

Back