Whats your favorite tree for a Christmas Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so I know we're not talking about slaying big timber here (b/c that would be a sin) but you can still put a saw to them if you want (395 might be a little overkill).

I got a pretty nice White Pine from underneath the powerline today...nice smell, and the whorls are nice and tight (for an open grown tree) and no blister rust which is rare too. My other favorite is alpine fir (Abies lasicarpa). Usually mark a few in the summer in different areas where I know we might be winter logging - plans were changed this year so nothing up high....maybe next year!

Merry Christmas :)

I like a Fraser Fir for my Christmas Tree, get the same every year.This year I did bring a chainsaw with me, but based on the reaction I got from the other people at the Tree farm, I used the dumb little bow saw.

mostly balsam fir, but ive had a few blue spruces. its hard to find them though. most tree farms dont have them and its even harder to find one in the woods.

We have a Douglas fir this year. I really like the Frasier Firs we have had recently. I really enjoyed the spruce we had a few years ago. It was what we had when I was a kid before the Scotch Pines took over.

I like Spruce, but snagged a Doug fir today.
It alway's amazes me. We go out & find the straightest, most perfect trees for Christmas trees, and leave the dog legged, forked topped little scabs for our grandchildren to try to get timber out of.:laugh: But I'll keep hunting the "good ones" to keep the growler happy:D
Maybe the grandkid's will be smart enough to get into something else.

Andy

I like blue spruces best. We, well I and a friend mostly, planted 800 at my dad's about 10 years ago so there's no lack of them here.

we spotted the spruce we had a few years ago because we were up on a hill looking over a stand of hundreds of fir trees, then right in the middle was one tree that was as blue as the sky, stuck out like a sore thumb, my father started running to get it, which is strange for him because he can barely walk!

Ok, so I know we're not talking about slaying big timber here (b/c that would be a sin) but you can still put a saw to them if you want (395 might be a little overkill).

I got a pretty nice White Pine from underneath the powerline today...nice smell, and the whorls are nice and tight (for an open grown tree) and no blister rust which is rare too. My other favorite is alpine fir (Abies lasicarpa). Usually mark a few in the summer in different areas where I know we might be winter logging - plans were changed this year so nothing up high....maybe next year!

Merry Christmas :)

I like the White Pine too. They smell so good. They are getting extremely hard to come by though. That blister rust has pretty well put an end to them around here.

In California, we liked white and red firs best. They have great shape. In Oregon we have had grand firs, which have a great smell (what I consider the great outdoor Oregon smell). We also have had Doug firs, but they tend to be more full and bushy.

Larch, AKA Tamarack. I don't do Christmas trees due to dogs with power tails. But I help friends get Noble Firs. We have to go higher up for them and sometimes the trip turns into an adventure. But the roads were bare on Thanksgiving so we accomplished the mission.

nothing but balsam fir for me. took mine right off the side of the highway this year (and didnt knick the sheep fence with the axe to boot!)

I like the White Pine too. They smell so good. They are getting extremely hard to come by though. That blister rust has pretty well put an end to them around here.

we have tons of white pine around here but none of it could be used as christmas trees, they are really bare when they are young, and then when you cut down a big one that tops are always really gaunt with only a few branches here and there on the leader, they dont look anything like a christmas tree.

we have tons of white pine around here but none of it could be used as christmas trees, they are really bare when they are young, and then when you cut down a big one that tops are always really gaunt with only a few branches here and there on the leader, they dont look anything like a christmas tree.

Mostly the same here but find one in a swamp or really sour soil and they grow slow enough to make a good Christmas tree.

The same around here as they grow so damn fast. Its too bad for the blister rust as they out perform all other conifers around here. This one was under a large transmission line right of way so was surprised to see pretty tight whorls - less than 8" - 10" between each one. First one in a long time.

Spruce is good for keeping cats and 2yr olds away from the decorations....the only one I ever took was a Stitka spruce on Vancouver Island and that sucker drew blood.....

Spruce is good for keeping cats and 2yr olds away from the decorations....the only one I ever took was a Stitka spruce on Vancouver Island and that sucker drew blood.....
That’s for sure: Kinda rough to decorate with out Carhart as well.
Pass on the red cedar----They stink!!!
Shasta-Noble Fir are the best Christmas trees in my book.
Second best is a free tree, and with a valley full of Christmas tree farms, there are times that they cannot give them away.

what ever you do just dont take a white spruce. A friend of mine got one of those a few years ago, wasnt thinking and cut it down and brought it home. could not for the life of him find out why his house smelled like cat P!$$. come to find out it was the tree, nasty stuff.

Latest posts

Back