What's your opiion of the DR 15 Ton Dual Action splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Background: I live in Northern Wisconsin. I don't sell firewood. I just heat my house with it. I burn 5 full cords (15 face cords) each winter. For 8 years my little $300 Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter from Home Depot has served me well. I do all of my splitting in my 30 X 50 pole barn which I can heat when necessary. I've split over 50 full cords (150 face cords) with this little sucker. Lest you think it's not up to the job, watch this video, 25" Maple log split by Ryobi log splitter...WOW! - YouTube and this video. Ryobi Log Splitter - YouTube Once in a great while I may get a really gnarly piece that it can't split, but that's the exception. It has split virtually everything I've thrown at it. The majority of my rounds are 16 inches long and 12 to 18 inches in diameter, which means they have to be re-split a few times. I sit behind it to operate the controls which require both hands. However, my fingers are long enough so that I can operate both controls with just one hand which frees the other hand to guide the round into the splitting wedge. I line up 5 rounds on each side of me (10 rounds total). In most cases, I can remain seated and lift all but the heaviest rounds on to the splitter. With my girlfriend operating the splitter (which is seldom), and me feeding it and tossing the splits into the trailer, we can do a face cord in 45 minutes. This keeps me humping pretty fast while all she does is sit there and push two buttons. By myself, it takes me roughly 4 hours to split one full cord (3 face cords). Full cycle time is 15 seconds (10 seconds out and 5 seconds back). Most times the ram doesn't have to reach its full extension for the round to split. This reduces the actual full cycle time to around 10 seconds. On two occasions, I've powered it with my generator, because I was out in the field without any electricity, and it worked just fine.

So ~ I've been thinking of getting another splitter ~ just because. My limit is around $1500. Sure is fun looking at all those nice new splitters. I like the SuperSplit and the DR RapidFire. But they're around $2500. And that ram moving so quickly is a little intimidating. I suppose I could get use to it though. Also checked out the SpeedPro at TSC. But negative posts about it on this form turned me off.

The one that really interests me is the DR 15 ton dual action gas model at $1229 with electric start. I like this model for a couple of reasons. It can be ordered with an extra (optional) electric motor ($299), so I'd have two sources of power, gas or electric. And, it splits in both directions. Watch this video. Gas-Powered Models - DR Power Dual Action Log Splitters - YouTube According to the video, it can handle up to 30 inch diameter rounds ! So for around $1529 ($1229 for the splitter and $299 for the extra optional electric motor) I think I'd have me a dandy little splitter. And it is little at just 330 pounds. It would easily fit in my Ram 1500 8 foot long pickup bed. And, DR has that 1 year trial period, which means I can return it for a full refund (less shipping of course) if I simply don't like it.

So knowing what my little 4 ton splitter can do (A LOT), I'm thinking 15 tons should do just fine. I don't think I need a 20 or 30 ton splitter. Do any of you own any DR products. If so, can you share your thoughts and experience. And for the rest of you, I'd really like your opinions (both pros and cons) on the model I've chosen.

Thanks guys,

Don

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back