What's Your Torque Wrench Adapter Setup For Jug Bolts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So what do you guys use as your torque wrench to torx adapter setup -- particularly for the jug bolts? Sears has a sale on their little Craftsman "clicker" torque wrenches this weekend, but zero selection of long-shaft torx bits or appropriate adapters.

Up till now, I jes been crankin' em down with a T-handle till I start gettin' thirsty.

TIA for any magic bullets.:cheers:

Poge

Last edited:
I have no real direct answer, but thought of a fun way to do that. Take the crappiest junk saw ya got, something headed for metal recycling, and go around and torque until you break all the bolts/strip threads/bust the case whatever.

then...just never go that far!

Torx? Bah! Work on old North American Iron/Mag. Then you can use a little torque wrench on SAE sockets for the jug nuts (on studs), like God intended.:D

Torx? Bah! Work on old North American Iron/Mag. Then you can use a little torque wrench on SAE sockets for the jug nuts (on studs), like God intended.:D

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say God probably doesn't think me workin' on chainsaws of any era/vintage is a very good idea to begin with.

And then like my Daddy always said about the metric system and all the globalization stuff, "Why would we want our ammo to fit their guns?" Good question.

Now about God wanting me to find a solution to a neat little torque wrench adapter for head bolts......?

Anyone?

Ya in the house, Moses? (Nevermind. He'd be for the case-splittin' stuff. My bad.)

Last edited:
i keep going until my elbow clicks:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I just twist the tool til the tip breaks off,..done....LOL

Let's keep it clean, Jerry.:laugh:

I'm just trying to apply a bit more precision to my projects as I get more involved in all of this stuff. Seems like a decent Torx bit torque wrench setup would be on the bench of lots of you guys.

That stated, don't get me started on a rant about which oil is the best to keep from twistin' the tip off your tool. That's a whole other thread, mang!

Poge

Appears to be a well know fact the M5 SHCS in both allen and torx head require in excess of 200 ft-lbs in order for them to work, and compressing the base gasket just raises the compression!

Fastener torque specs on a chainsaw are well, just a sign of where they were manufactured and by whom. Most Eurpoean and Japanese manufactures have a torque spec for everything, as they pay alot of attention to detail. Msot other places its tossed together and if it works out well its a bonus....................in reality a torque spec on a saw is the same as the one for the hinge on my fridge, irrelevant for the most part..........unless its my beer fridge in the shop.

Dolmar/Makita 7901 jug bolts are 14.0 Nm +/- 1Nm.I cut the end of an allen screwdriver to fit a 3/8 drive socket on the end. Hopefully the Dolmar haters don't come out of the woodwork now.:laugh:

Last edited:
Well to give an answer to the OP in the past I have welded torx, allen, or what ever to a socket that fit them. I have mainly done this with allens that needed to be long enough for something that could not be reached other wise, but this would work for a torx also.

Sears has a sale on their little Craftsman "clicker" torque wrenches this weekend, but zero selection of long-shaft torx bits or appropriate adapters.

I just bought a 6 inch, T27 screwdriver bit from a local hardware store (the 'good one') for bout $6. I have a magnetized socket that holds these types of hex shanked, insert bits, but any 6-point, 1/4 inch socket can work.

If you can't find the bits locally, I have seen them mail order ( just Google '6 inch torx bits')

Philbert

Your local friendly Snap-On stealer will have bit holders that will hold the bit onto the torq wrench. I have managed to buy a T-27 long in 3/8ths drive from the truck for $9.99.

Latest posts

Back