When Arborist's go logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It was a fun 3 days of climbing, felling, of 15 ponderosa pines in nor cal, only bad part was chipping 15 pondos worth of branches :msp_wink:
Sold all pine to local mill

Not to shaby for Arborist's

Im in the orange shirt if anyone cares...lol...thanks for watching!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/05YfUl7sSCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

silly question, but why use the crane? looked like plenty of room to dump em and drag em out, seems a shovel or small dozer would have been cheaper, unless there was a concern for a septic system. Also why top some and then dump the rest?

And I noticed some mexican yarding with the self loader... they like that means they can charge more money...

All in all nice clean work though.

silly question, but why use the crane? looked like plenty of room to dump em and drag em out, seems a shovel or small dozer would have been cheaper, unless there was a concern for a septic system. Also why top some and then dump the rest?

And I noticed some mexican yarding with the self loader... they like that means they can charge more money...

All in all nice clean work though.

northman, not silly at all.....to much structual stuff and nice driveway to dump and drag.

homeowners gave us the ok to "mexican yarding" lol, with crane and self loader in area's that they were going to tear up and re-do landscaping

Cool video! Nice work. Timber has some height to it. Minus 1 point for using a wedge when bucking tho!:msp_biggrin:

Nice work, looks like a fun job. Your company own that crane?

IP, I wish that was my crane...its a 50ton

Bixler tree hired me to help for the 3 days, hes a good friend of mine, he's up doing the crane work and throwing tops with "Madman" Joe, I climbed 2 and set pull lines because of homes, we take no chances

I fell a lot of Pondo's, I had to brush up on my Humbolt vs conventional notch for wood going to the mill :clap:

northman, not silly at all.....to much structual stuff and nice driveway to dump and drag.

homeowners gave us the ok to "mexican yarding" lol, with crane and self loader in area's that they were going to tear up and re-do landscaping

Ok that makes sense, can't see everything in a vid or picture.

My favorite self loader jockey keeps an 20' choker on the truck for gypos that don't own skidders... but then he charges $80. an hour, more if he has to get off the truck... (only has one leg...)

How much that crane take ya for?

Cool video! Nice work. Timber has some height to it. Minus 1 point for using a wedge when bucking tho!:msp_biggrin:

Thanks!

All trees were over 100ft a few were in the 150ft arena

Lol, I always use wedges when bucking, Im just a arborist :wink2:..haha

Ok that makes sense, can't see everything in a vid or picture.

My favorite self loader jockey keeps an 20' choker on the truck for gypos that don't own skidders... but then he charges $80. an hour, more if he has to get off the truck... (only has one leg...)

How much that crane take ya for?

lol, a one armed monkey charges a lot as well..lol

hmmm, not sure on crane cost but we got over 6k from mill, just for the pine

They said ponderosa board ft went up in price...gologit might chime in here on that, its in his area we did the job

Last edited:
Thanks TB!

We were getting at lest three 33 footers out of these pondo's and some 17 footers as well....thats what the mill wanted for length.

I learned alot about logging and Liked it! ;)

A few pics....

self loader was cool

Bixler on his way down after throwing top

Me working my way up to set tag line

"madman" Joe had just enough room to drop 17's and 33's pieces

My view, working my way up

Bixler using my 660 42" bar on crane pick, low cut....this was our first tree we did and made the mistake of measuring from top down, so we used logger tape and clipped it to base, then crane up to 33, use spray paint and marked it and repete to top so we didnt waste bottom trunk wood...we a little slow lol

Latest posts

Back