When did Stihl changeover from 0XX to MS XX0?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this is somewhere in the archives here. Just spent about an hour looking but found nothing specific. So when did the 025, 026, 036, 044 etc. change over to the MS 250, MS 260, MS 360 ect.:bowdown:

088 was the last one here, 2004.....(The Troll said so, lol.....):laugh: ;)

SawWitch!! So nice to here from you. Does Troll know about the switch from 036 Pro to MS 360 Pro. I have an early MS 360 and it is the subject of this thread. You and the Troll prolly had serveral of these before the Gawd Almighty 5100 right? Just kidding but I'd appreciate hearing what you folks know about 036 to MS360...

088 was the last one here, 2004.....(The Troll said so, lol.....):laugh: ;)

It might have been here too... Hard to say..particularly when they only sell about 20 a year for the entire USA!

WOW!!!! Is that for real?!?!

Makes me wonder now. Is there somewhere that lists the annual sales of each particular model?

They don't give outsiders that info...:hmm3grin2orange: You know somthing is up when you buy a saw from Stihl Inc and the date code is 4 years old! I bought an MS200, and it was three years old before I got it "fresh" from the factory. Buy a 250 or 361, and it was made a couple, of weeks ago.. The last MS880 I sold was two years old from Stihl.

Last edited:
I would imagine the reason they don't sell very many is because when someone buys one,they will run forever if properly maintained....I bought mine back in 01'....I doubt it's even fully broken it yet,it don't get used but maybe three or four times a year

They don't give outsiders that info...:hmm3grin2orange: You know somthing is up when you buy a saw from Stihl Inc and the date code is 4 years old! I bought an MS200, and it was three years old before I got it "fresh" from the factory. Buy a 250 or 361, and it was made a couple, of weeks ago.. The last MS880 I sold was two years old from Stihl.

Hmmmm, with Huskys, Jreds and Dolmars (even Poulans), it is easy to tell when the saw in question was made, but not so with the Stihls - they need to clean up their act, as it really isn't acceptable......:biggrinbounce2: :blob2: :blob2:

Kind of interesting... 20 US units per year on the 880... Puts an owner in a pretty exclusive club. But like a lot of odd/big equipment, it's not for everyone and expensive enough to keep the curious away. I wonder what the average yearly US sales figures are on the 660. I guess 2500 saws.

Once upon a time, I had a "special-edition" Harley that was one of 600 made... Before I sold it, I wrote to Milwaukee with my VIN and got a sequence # (IIRC mine was 132/600) If one is going to 'collect' things, that stuff might be important, but for a user?

Vehicles are usually tracked/sold by model year... I guess not so for OPE. As long as the thing hasn't been stored in the salty bilge of some derilect freighter for umpteen years, I don't think it'd bother me to get a "new" one that wasn't born yesterday.

:hmm3grin2orange:
Kind of interesting... 20 US units per year on the 880... Puts an owner in a pretty exclusive club. But like a lot of odd/big equipment, it's not for everyone and expensive enough to keep the curious away. I wonder what the average yearly US sales figures are on the 660. I guess 2500 saws.

Once upon a time, I had a "special-edition" Harley that was one of 600 made... Before I sold it, I wrote to Milwaukee with my VIN and got a sequence # (IIRC mine was 132/600) If one is going to 'collect' things, that stuff might be important, but for a user?

Vehicles are usually tracked/sold by model year... I guess not so for OPE. As long as the thing hasn't been stored in the salty bilge of some derilect freighter for umpteen years, I don't think it'd bother me to get a "new" one that wasn't born yesterday.

Woody, Where are you going on this? Do you still wish you had that Harley Davidson? I sold mine a lot of years ago and have not looked back. I will gladly sell you this extra fine MS 360 Pro if you happen to need one 'cause I don't". I did want to know how old it is since most buyers want to know. The members here share information freely as do you and I. I suspect that you were able to use the letter from H-D to help move your "out of production" machine at a good price. Information is worth something to me and obviously to you as well....I asked for it and I got it without bothering the fine folks in Virginia Beach. :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe there should be a born on date, like beer??
No one likes a stale saw.............

Hmmmm, with Huskys, Jreds and Dolmars (even Poulans), it is easy to tell when the saw in question was made, but not so with the Stihls - they need to clean up their act, as it really isn't acceptable......:biggrinbounce2: :blob2: :blob2:

Hmmmm... let's see now... all Stihl in the USA since 1998 (and some before) have had a date code right on them... like MD0106.. I wonder what that means?? (hint -MD = Manufacture date):laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Back