When is the weather too bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly Rick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When do ya'll call it a day 'cause of weather?
Rain? Wind? Heat? Cold? Ice?etc.
Us,Lightening we're gone.Light rain, we keep working.
Snow, at least we're dry.
Wind is the stopper, when the trees are rockin' we're outa there
Rick

I could never have been a real logger cause I hate to get up early. 5:00am is fine, maybe 4:30 once in awhile but that's it. Besides I've heard it rains in the woods sometimes. Then again I can't even remember what rain is.

Only time I stop work is when the light is out:laugh: Quitin times are for city slickers,mountain people work till there aint any work which is never:rock::laugh:

Some trees shed limbs easier than others, in the old growth here, that could mean a limb the size of most trees elsewhere. The tall stuff gets tricky, easy enough to get sky bound.

The area we're loggin' was already logged 7 years ago, then 3 years ago an inland hurricane came through and knocked over the biggest trees that were left. Most hit the ground, some are leanin' on other trees and others are just leanin' at about 45* bein' held up by what's left of the roots. All are dead and widow makers are everywhere.My co-worker just called and said it's too windy for him.
This area is small timber and big briars. The mill owner wants anything that will make a RR tie, 12" at the small end of an 8'8" log. These monsters:msp_w00t:are few and very far between. It takes 2 days to get a 3000bf load on the landing. The mill owner says he knows this is the worst case for loggers trying to make money, but there is better timber comin' after this. I hope so, I made more $$ in 1976 at min. wage

The mill owner says he knows this is the worst case for loggers trying to make money, but there is better timber comin' after this.

:hmm3grin2orange: I almost choked on my coffee. Some things in this business are the same no matter where you log. I've been hearing that "the next sale will be a better one" line for 45 years.

One of these days, just once, I'd like to hear.."yeah I know this has been a real head banger for you guys, small timber, lousy scale, steep ground, a lot of road work, and a long way to the mill. But wait 'til you see the next sale...it's even worse". I'd probably swallow my snoose.

:hmm3grin2orange: I almost choked on my coffee. Some things in this business are the same no matter where you log. I've been hearing that "the next sale will be a better one" line for 45 years.

One of these days, just once, I'd like to hear.."yeah I know this has been a real head banger for you guys, small timber, lousy scale, steep ground, a lot of road work, and a long way to the mill. But wait 'til you see the next sale...it's even worse". I'd probably swallow my snoose.

Sorry 'bout that, hope ya didn't blow it out yer nose, coffee's too expensive fer that. Some things we take for granted around here, the ground is ALWAYS steep, the timber is ALWAYS small and the scale is ALWAYS lousy.

When the crummy cant make it too the site or cant make it back from the job site. Or if its more than a mile hike in. The tops of trees are horizontal with the ground due to the wind. Rain really isnt that much of a shut-us-down, unless someone opened up the flood gates. Snow, only if it gets deeper than 8 inches and is still sticking. All of that just for a couple bucks that dont go far.

That was a saying of our timber marking crew. We'd be scrambling up and down rocky vertical ground, and somebody would say, "There's always something worse."

That was a saying of our timber marking crew. We'd be scrambling up and down rocky vertical ground, and somebody would say, "There's always something worse."

Always. You just haven't got there yet. :smile2:

Back on topic:

As far as shutting down for weather...it's variable. At the first of the season when the boys are just coming to work after a long winter layoff they'll log pretty tough. Rain, wind, mud...doesn't matter. They're broke and they're hungry and the paycheck is all they can think of. They don't complain and they'll even work Saturdays.

A little later in the year, with their bellies full and some money in the bank, they get a little pickier. After a full season of 70 and 80 hour weeks (if you count travel time) the enthusiasm level goes down. Way down.

Last edited:

Hahaha! Bob! You beat me to it! I had the exact same reaction just now!! In fact, I just heard that last week!! That elusive "next one" never seems to come though!

I always hear "the next one is flat ground and big wood". Seems to always be more like flat wood and big ground!

Back