When listing a saw on an online auction site??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine was a 20". ill see how it goes. ive bought a couple parts saws and they looked good. ive gotta empty my shelves so i figured id try it. (knowin im just gonna feel in the blank places as they go)

I have sold a smaller too handle saw. So far no issues. Buyer was very pleased. I'm just afraid of forgetting something important in the description and having the buyer get it and either swap parts or make some bs claim and then I'll be sol. I don't plan to sell many saws. Just the two saws I have now so I can either buy a new saw or buy a parts saw and build one.

Regards-Carlo

No matter what you do at an online auction site, the buyer can always get their money back....always. PayPal is geared towards the buyer, even if said buyer lies their backside off, breaks the item, or swap your working item for their crap(BTDT). PayPal forced me to give them money to ship their broken crap back to me too!(yes, they swapped an item....serial number didn't even match up with my photo's)

Someday, when the "Purge" takes place, I have the address of said scumbag....I'm going to visit him.

Be careful, and I hope you have nothing but good happen during your sale.

Scott (Imma **** down his neck hole) B

Here is an example, listed as not working but stated it works. Apparently that makes it harder to reverse the deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301735465393?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It is my understanding using a card to pay for something without signing a slip just comes with some reversal protections. I think you realize you don't get to decide when to take responsibility or not.

I can't tell for sure how to best word things but I would suggest not putting anything that is contrary to the user agreement with either the "auction" site or the card processing entity. This should minimize potential buyers evaluating you as an idiot that needs to lean a lesson. I have not bid or buy it now any chainsaws however excessive capital lock or terms in the listing contrary to the user agreement and the buyer protection links plastered on the listings get no bids or offers from me no matter what category.
Well you have part of a point there. The "excessive capitol lock" can save you from folks who don't read a lower case listing and then when something like "powerhead only" is stated but they missed it then get mad and want a refund or threaten negative feedback when there is no bar. I've been told on occasion that my descriptions are too wordy even though i'm only trying to tell all I know about the saw, so if you don't make it stand out many won't even pay attention. Also claiming the user agreement on vintage chainsaws is a bit ridiculous unless there is deliberate misleading going on. I didn't sell for a while and only just started again and already was asked about a bar for a parts saw that had no bar pictured because I forgot my caps lock powerhead only statement. I even tried videos in the past to prove running condition and yet had people claim I hoodwinked them because I didn't take apart every nut and bolt and restore it despite having never stated it. When dealing with 30,40 or 50 year old saws, there is a ton of room for subjectivity. I personally only care about how a saw runs and if parts aren't broken myself, but some like them fully restored. On a new item or in the case of a blatant deception, the user agreement is a good tool, but for some things it is just a technicality that many abuse. All in all you can do your best and it is still a crap shoot.

Well I only have two saws I really want to sell. And that's so I can get funds to build the saw I want. It's a shame I'm so terrified to use eBay because I could make a good bit of extra money flipping saws. On the one I just sold I marked the parts and took photos of markings with serial number in viewable sight. So if there is any question I could hopefully rely on that. I just fear someone will swap parts. I already have the carb set super rich to hopefully prevent them running it lean.

Regards-Carlo

Well good luck. It can be a good way to get hobby cash and help spread the chainsaw hobby, but as you say, there risks.

Well I only have two saws I really want to sell. And that's so I can get funds to build the saw I want. It's a shame I'm so terrified to use eBay because I could make a good bit of extra money flipping saws. On the one I just sold I marked the parts and took photos of markings with serial number in viewable sight. So if there is any question I could hopefully rely on that. I just fear someone will swap parts. I already have the carb set super rich to hopefully prevent them running it
Regards-Carlo

You'll come across the occasional douchebag but I don't think its as pervasive a problem with saws as it is with some other areas like with ham radios for which there has been a history of notorious part-swappers. One thing you can do is perform google searches on your buyers before you ship to see if they have already earned a rep as a sleazeball.

The big thing is to accurately represent the condition of the saw to make it harder for buyers to make successful SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims. You can always tryselling AS-IS but Ebay no longer officially has a category for AS-IS sales. Even if you accurately disclose and describe problems and prominently note in both the item description and return policy that you are selling 'AS-IS with no returns' they may still force you to accept returns.

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread when dealing with eBay the pendulum nowadays has clearly swung toward the buyers.

I had the saw on cl for 4 months with not even a bite. Two days on eBay and it sold. So it has it's pros. I looked at the buyers feedback but I can't tell what items the feedback is for.

Regards-Carlo

If I have to send a saw with a bar longer than 20" I just ship the bar separately.
I ship 1-10 saws a month and that is how I do it. Bar goes separately if it's over 20". Bars...even 30" bars can be shipped for $10 or so anywhere in the states. Much easier than trying to fit it in the box but for me it does add another issue to make buyer's understand. Power head ships FedEx and will be there in 2 days....Bar ships USPS and will be there in a week.

Latest posts

Back