When to cut logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnwoody

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am just finishing up on my homebuilt bandmill. I would like to know when is the best time to fall some tamarack and white oak trees. Is the winter time the best as far as the trees being the dryest, or doesn't it matter. I would like to mill some posts before spring. MNWoody

everything I've read says to fall em in the winter when the sap is down... Tamarack is a little funny though, It is the evergreen that turns yellow and then looses all its needles right? If so then you would think the same applies...

Now if you had a kiln to dry em in it wouldn't matter...

everything I've read says to fall em in the winter when the sap is down... Tamarack is a little funny though, It is the evergreen that turns yellow and then looses all its needles right? If so then you would think the same applies...

Now if you had a kiln to dry em in it wouldn't matter...

It does matter because it takes more time/energy to achieve the same results. You're right, winter is better for the mositure reason, even just for less checking and twisting as during air drying- should be more favorable

Winter, but not sub-zero and frozen wood for oaks. Not becase grain will shatter, but micro fractures can happen on bigger stems slammingdown fast on hard or rocky ground.
Sealing the ends quickly helps a whole lot to stop checking on the oaks and green planning right after milling the oaks will help reduce surface checks.
air dry open shed with good forced circulation will get mc in oaks down quick and cheap.
just some thoughts.

Latest posts

Back