When you see a craigslist ad like this, what do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen people several times asking full retail value for used Stihl 290s all the time.

I do not understand it.

There is a pawn shop around me that ask darn near full retail for all their saws and they a junk ones. Everytime I go in there it is the same saws hanging. THey never sell them.

i found out that the pawn shops go on fleabay to see what they are selliing for then they add what the shipping would be,, i have seen many pawn shops asking dang near new prices,,,,i tried to buy a cs-370,,,it was all beat up,,i think he was asking 159 for it,,,,anyway,,,i offered him 90 for it and he told me even at his asking price he would only make about 20 on it,,,now that is BS,,, i bet he only gave the guy 20-30 for it,,,, i took a very nice 290 in one day to just see what he would give for it on a trade for a 45 pistol,,he said themost he could allow was 50.00,, of course i told him no way right off the bat,,did the same thing with the 600p i had,, 125 was all he would allow,,,,,,pawn shops just try to get rich off people

There's always a pretty steady supply of smaller Stihl home owner saws at or above retail price on craigslist. And I've called and talked to a few of the guys selling them, and for the most part it's a case of the "Pissed off Wife" at work.

The guy needs a saw to do a job, and after much begging and pleading the wife lets him spend more than a 150$, on a "real saw". Husband gets job done, wife gets a bug in her arse to clean the garage, and notices nearly new saw, sitting un used. She says you better sell it, since you're not using it and better get all the money back out of it.

I see plenty of these too--like others have said--where you see an MS 290 mint for $325...yeah right...

but my real question lies with the claims of price paid. I've seen a husky 142 that some guy was like paid $400 for.

Now my question is, really, if you're at a dealer, you're a total noob, and he doesn't have prices all over the saws (many dont), is there a chance you got swindled? will dealers swindle? Is there even a penalty for way overcharging someone?

I realize it's not particularly ethical but I never thought that stihl or husky set an upperbound for saw prices...

Now my question is, really, if you're at a dealer, you're a total noob, and he doesn't have prices all over the saws (many dont), is there a chance you got swindled? will dealers swindle? Is there even a penalty for way overcharging someone?

I realize it's not particularly ethical but I never thought that stihl or husky set an upperbound for saw prices...

Not and stay in business

In this particular case the dealer is well established and reputable. You don't get to be a dealer for the lines they handle by being a shmuck.

Are there some dealers that try for more than list? Maybe. but very rare and they would have to be in a very captive market. It would be exceedingly difficult to up charge as there is usually another dealer within a reasonable distance that the person can call. Let's face it, with the internet it's pretty easy to find out what something new or used should cost even if you are completely unfamiliar with the product. In this case you can go to Husky"s website and get MSRP.

I suppose they could try the bar and chain is not included in the price as an up sell, but that has all kinds of legal ramifications, especially if somebody buys the power head only, puts the wrong B & C on and goes out and gets hurt. Having been in the winch industry for years I can tell you product liability will put the unscrupulous dealers out of business fast. Included with every product sold is an ambulance chaser just waiting to jump out of the box. That said, if a dealer modifies the product to up his selling price, (as in my case removing the wire rope from the winch and telling the customer it's extra), the manufacturer's liability insurance will not cover him if sued due to an injury.

I don't know what else say. I personally think the customer should be more worried about being ripped off by repair costs than purchase price. I know of one dealer that sold OPE 50 or so miles from here that got nailed for double dipping by charging both the manufacturer and the customer for warranty repairs.

If you cant tell, I'm bored. Has it stopped raining and snowing yet? By the way Mike, you're much to young to be that suspicious and cynical.

Take Care

Last edited:
It's all business!

Now I’m starting to wonder if the $380.00 I paid for my Wild Thing was too much.

Well that's totally up to you. Does the saw do what it was advertised to do? :msp_unsure: Put it for sale on the trading post and see how many offers you get on it......

Wow !!! All I can say is I thank my Mom for making me stay in school.:msp_lol:

Good for your mom!

i found out that the pawn shops go on fleabay to see what they are selliing for then they add what the shipping would be,, i have seen many pawn shops asking dang near new prices,,,,i tried to buy a cs-370,,,it was all beat up,,i think he was asking 159 for it,,,,anyway,,,i offered him 90 for it and he told me even at his asking price he would only make about 20 on it,,,now that is BS,,, i bet he only gave the guy 20-30 for it,,,, i took a very nice 290 in one day to just see what he would give for it on a trade for a 45 pistol,,he said themost he could allow was 50.00,, of course i told him no way right off the bat,,did the same thing with the 600p i had,, 125 was all he would allow,,,,,,pawn shops just try to get rich off people

Pawn shops are in business just for the same reason as everyone else. TO MAKE MONEY You always have two choices....buy or not to buy......

Direct link here, and I'm going to embed an image too, that if you click the image should link you to a full sized screen shot.

Husqvarna chainsaw 8 hours old

I see more and more of these it seems. Ads that claim to have paid some RIDICULOUS sum for what they are selling. Sometimes it's like list and a little bit, so it's like ok, they're quoting tax and then some. And I understand this.

But then ones like this come along. $800 for a 346 he claims to have paid??? Is he out of his mind? Is this a flat out lie to make you believe that his asking price is more reasonable? Or is he actually nuts? Did he actually get that ripped at the stealer?

I dont' care what they paid or think they paid, the asking price is the only thing that matters to me.

price in the land downunder

converted the price to $USD, to be fair stock was probable imported when our dollar bought 80c us and not 101c.

MS200T $1578 us dollars
MS260 $1272 us dollars
MS361 $1425 us dollars

this price is not the local dealers price as they have been selling out each week since cyclone came though here.

MS261 $1528 us dollars

I plan to read the for sale section of the paper in 6 to 12 months time.

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of a 610 that a guy was asking 80 bucks for. Too much for me. Should've tried to get a hold of him and see if he would've dropped the price a little.

Latest posts

Back