Where all the Loggers at ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey John ,

Good to hear your keeping the wolf away :) Yup Im back on AS not as much as I use to be but Im here again . Seems like there are'nt as many loggers here as there use to be though . Looks like a nice stick of wood behing the bota , still cutting rock maple I see , hows the market up your way ? Red Oak market has gone to sh*! down here. Well look like some nice pics John very nice load of wood . Well keep in touch glad to see your still at it.

Oh here is a pic of the 545 Cat skidder I was running , and the Hood Slasher/Loader

Rob

No mud but the dust on the landing I've been pushing the last two days is an inch thick and will be goo the first rain that hits it. I had to build a truck haul road 1/2 mile into the woods to get to the first landing.

Yeah it's been pretty dusty up this way lately too , cant wait till winter though it's coming quick : ) Love winter logging

Dust, we just finished a job down around Shrevport La. that the dust was so deep we had to push the trucks up the haul road, a foot and a half maybe. got to get me a digital cam.

Hey 429 ,

Sounds like some pretty nasty dust , we get dusty jobs up my way but nothing that severe..Get a cam take some pics , I started a new thread this morning for all the loggers to put pics in.

hi everyone who loves the woods, im new to the site,looking foward to chatting with you. been logging for 20 years in CT. currently running a 540b combo.

Welcome neastlogger .. good to hear from another logger in New England. I have worked down in CT a few times in Killingly and East Killingly nice area down there . So what do you run for equipment other than your 540B ?? Well good to see u here

Rob

I just bought a 540B with a recon engine and tranny in it as well as new clutches in the winch.

I managed to find 2 brandnew 23.1-26's Firestone LSII's for $900 apiece!! I've got a guy that'll put on for me for $75 per tire plus $100 per tube.

Good deal Ryan . . Are you gonna keep the ole' franklin going as well or sell it and just run the 540 ?? Always good to have backup :) Well get some pics of the new toy and let us know how it pulls and your thoughts on the machine..What year is the skidder ?

Rob

Its an '83 I think. It needs a good presure washing but other than that its in good shape. I'll probably sell the franklin and just run the 540.

hey Ryan.. sounds like a good machine , my friend started out with a 82 540B I believe he still has the machine to this day but rarely uses it as he went to bigger grapple but he made some serious money with that machine..How come you did'nt go with a grapple winch combo machine ??

Humm good question, oh yea I am constantly on steep ground and a graple would be worthless to me.LOL. I also cut all timber with a chainsaw so a cable machine works better for me. I looked at a 540E and a friends 540GII but they aren't as fuel effiecent and the frame is shorter so it won't come out of a hole quite as well. Not to mention the fact that I got this recon (well almost a complete recon, all its lacking is new center pins, new tires on the rear which I've got coming and new paint and a new seat and it would be a complete recon) for $11,000! The guy wanted $15,000 for it but I was able to get him down as he needed the $$$ quick.

Good deal Ryan .. Sounds like you got yet another nice toy.. Understandable about the grapple , Im just to use to grapple winch combo..dont mind me.I saw a new 05 540GIII cable selling on machinery trader for $140,000 decent price way out of my league but here in NH they are going for 170-180 for a 05..

Hi Stihl Magnum, I really like my little C4. There are 10 of the in my village. All are one man operations on private land. C5's are the most popular machine here. Also a few C6's. Other skidders here; timberjack 230,380; John Deere 440,540. Most landowners here have a skidder. The nicest skidder I have run was a 525 Cat when I worked for a logging company. Most landowners here won't let anything larger than a C4 on their land.
Our markets are poor right now; logs--$60 /ton--a $35 drop; Pulp--$50/cord--$40 drop. Firewood is the only thing going up; roadside long length $100/cord. Delivered, split $200/cord.

Hi Stihl ,

I use to have a c4-D was a nice little machine when it was working , ran both 525 and 545 Cat grapple skidders for the past year big mean wood pulling skidders , I could pull some serious wood with the 545..Good to hear from someone up north..Keep it coming gentlemen

Hey Rob, talking about the 460, normally it pulls5 and 6 good size log trees and thats with tops and limbs cause we have a delimber but these trees are honkers, no taper within the first 30 foot or so, i bet they go 8 or 10 ton by themself, real logs just wish i was cutting with a saw instead of being hydoaxed oh well technolgy.

Latest posts

Back