Where are all the 048's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl088stock

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking around online for Stihl 048's or some info about them lately and there seems little to be had.

Is the 048 a good saw? I've always wanted to get one, but they seem rare and are becoming more uncommon just as any saw long out of production.

Was it an unpopular model? I know they were still being made in the early or mid 1980's.

I'd like to see what you guys have to say about them!

I got 3 parts saws here at the house, one of these days when I get the time I am going to combine the parts and make one good saw.

I have only worked on 2 since I have been working in the shop at work, 3 years now.

The 042 and 048 are a couple of rare saws you don't hear much about. I'm as curious as the next guy as to why. They're one of the most infrequently up on eBay--you get more 090s.

Of course, in three years I think I've seen four 111's on ebay. AS members own all of them. :)

Why this particular model? Just curious as to why you want this one.

Maybe Otto will sell you his 056. Otto I think its time to end the grand experiment:D

<p>Howdy<p/>
<p>I think the reason you don't see many 042/048 saws around is because they were thrown away, run over by dozers, skidders, or tracked shovels, or burned in landing fires. They had one of the lowest weight to power ratios of any Stihl saw ever designed. Many Stihl techs have said that if Stihl could distance itself from one particular model line then the 042/048 would be it.<p/>

Big brother to the 042. Just did not sell well.
Also, did not hold up to the every day grind of a logger. Power, yep. Handled OK. Just was not tough on the outside.
Most were done when the case gasket went out the bottom causing an air leak.
My take on it, there were not enough fasteners in the motor case. Torx screws seem to help.
I had about six used in everyday service. Not for the no maintenance operator. 056 just lasted better and had more power.

In my younger days I used to look through the Stihl brochure (copyright 1983) and I picked out what I wanted to buy. It wasn't until 1993 that I had enough extra dough to buy a new saw. I was going to get an 038AV Magnum II, but every dealer I talked to said they were being discontinued so I was duped into getting an 039. Not long after my purchase they put the 038 Magnum back on the line. I guess I just have the tendency of picking out duds. I sure hope my 088 won't be a dud. My 039 is still going strong, although I was never overly pleased with it since I cut up a dead oak tree for firewood as a first project.

Maybe I'll look at getting a used 038 instead of the 048, the 038's seem to have a good reputation.

Re: 048

Originally posted by Stihl088stock
but every dealer I talked to said they were being discontinued so I was duped into getting an 039

Holy crap you were screwed into 10 years of suffering by that retarded Stihl dealer. The difference between on 038 Magnum and an 039 is like a 009 vs. an 026. What they should have done is swung you into an 044. It has nearly the same displacement as the 038.

Find yourself a nice 044 with low hours and it will last you 15 years

The seller of the 048 on ebay that is posted above has a ton more parts saws than he is listing. He is located fairly close to me so I picked up the 55" bar I bought from him instead of shipping it. I saw some of the stuff he was getting ready to list.

Bill

Wow, is my 039 really that bad? I just bought my 088 with intentions of some milling and haven't used it much yet. I've used other saws like a friend's brand new 036 28" with a safety chain...it has a nice feel, but I hate safety chains. Every other saw I've had the luxury of using hasn't been taken care of very well.

When I was going to get the 038AV magnum II I was also looking at the 044, but it was about $130 more. I know I could have got the 038, but I would have had to "special order" it. I'll always regret not selling the 039 that one day I had an offer for more than I paid from a farmer who ran a john deer with no muffler.

bad luck, bad decisions, that seems to be me.

B/S w Crank

Hey, anyone know where I can get some info on old Briggs and Stratton engines? I have one with a crank starter that would be kind of cool to restore, the other end is a DC generator of all things. Let's see if anyone reads this. Am I off my own topic yet?

Yup, way off-topic. Just do a Google search for small engine restoration, or things like that. Lots of personal sites and boards devoted to the topic. ASECC.com is one of the better ones.

You should see Doug's bouncing icon.

Ghost town

Well, My thread is a lot like a ghost town, everyone looked for gold and left when they found me. Anyway, just to make sure I stay off my original topic, Many Thanks to John in MA for telling me about ASECC.com, I found out that my generator has a Briggs engine made in 1931.

048 on ebay looks tempting, but I think I'll pass on account of it's air leak

Back