where did you learn to work on saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the time I was 6 or 7 I cut wood with my dad who worked as an assembler in a high tech filtration plant, he also built biplanes in the garage in his spare time, by the time I was 12, I was bored with planes and discovered one of our neighbors was a retired mechanic and gunsmith with a shooting range in his backyard, by 15 I had a gun collection and could do simple mechanical repairs. I learned a lot but soon became interested in cars and girls. During college I worked at a salvage yard and after college I joined the corporate world but always felt "at home" with greasy cut hands in front of a toolbox, having grown up poor I always lived cheap and after my divorce And some health issues I decided to keep my sanity by spending more time working on saws and small engines and leave the corporate world, I guess you could say I learned some by trial and error but mostly from paying attention to the experts around me. I consider mechanical work therapy.

Was at my grandfathers at 12 yrs old took apart his homalite xl it was get my rear kicked or fix it. My neighbor owned a deere dealership so i got lots of junk to take home and fix. My father ran a state park got all the junk form there. Now i have my own tree business and have 15 saws that run and shelves full of parts and projects. My 9 yr old is rebuilding a wildthing my father found on trash day.

Got into mechanical repair before memory started to work, learned about chainsaw operation watching a master on a summer job, got an engineering degree. Got a woodstove and some saws to keep us warm in the '70s. Kept the saws fed, adjusted and clean. Always plenty of good wood here in CT. :clap:

Took a couple saws to a "pro" for carb repairs, which didn't "take." That was stimulation to learn how to overhaul a diaphragm carb. Basic micro-surgery. Rebuilt a fi####l of them, fully functional. :givebeer:

Got a book "2-Stroke Engines ... " by Paul Dempsey. Fun read for a gear-head on just how the various sub-systems interoperate on a 2-stroke, how to troubleshoot and repair. They're NOTHING like your Daddy's 4-stroke. :msp_wink:

Suggestion: Get the book. Save guesswork.

Long before chainsaws, I was building early model '70's Toyota FJ40'S. Converting them from 6 cylinder to Chevy V-8 hi-PO Chevy 327'S. V8's via Downey 4WD in La, Ca. Lots of mods and high performance costing hundreds, perhaps thousands, per build. Thankfully, they're far cheaper to play with than new Land Cruisers. Far cheaper.

Also helped that I moved from town to 15 wooded acres.

Found an old Husqvarna 61 for sale and did some research. Most every Google search led me here.

I read then read some more, somewhat hard to decide what was good info from the misinformation.

Thankfully I am quite adept at reading between the lines.

Guess you could say neccessity is the mother of all invention.

Never did get that 61.

But like I was warned on my first post ever here,

"lose your password and move along, or you are going to die broke"

It ain't been that bad, but some of them "misfit toys" just call out my name, who am I to let them down?

Back