Where do you sell or buy trucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete M

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
More specifically.....I'm in the UK and would love to get my grubby mitts on an F-350 Super Duty for pulling the chipper and carrying my tools and building materials when on that sort of work. I've imported used vehicles from Japan to UK as a business, but have never got involved in buying from the US. Are there any fairly cheap used vehicle dealers here that would be happy to export to UK? I need to look into this more.....

Thanks.

Pete

BTW, our UK equivalent of the F-350 is a little truck called the Ford Ranger with a small 2500TD engine and small bed!

cant see how you call the british ford ranger the equivalent to an f350. i used american pick ups in the uk for my tree buisness for 8 years and nothing matched them or even came close . you dont need to import a truck from the states . there are plenty of american pick ups for sale there like my 97 ford f250 that i am trying to sell.

im asking 9,500 quid but it is in exeptionly good condition and really has to be seen.
extended cab ,Heavy Duty model, long bed.
7.3 turbo diesel , automatic with overdrive , 4x4.
silver , grey interior. spray in bedliner , tow bar .electric windows.
cd player
tyres are BFG all terrain with plenty of tread .
this truck is excelent condition for the year and runs perfect . i have had it serviced
every 4 months and no mechanical problems .
body and bed has no dents , scratches or rust .
the interior is in very good condition with no tears or stains .
12 months MOT.
this is a reluctant sale as i am now living abroad and no longer need the vehicle.

it was the perfect truck for my tree work and could haul any load and tow almost any thing , a real work horse.
i can email you pics

If I could scratch together the money then I'd be seriously interested. But money is tight at the moment so I can't spend any more than the meagre value of the two vehicles I've got here to get rid of. Sorry Magic, and thanks for the info.

Pete... I'm Tulsa, OK... loads of rust free diesel trucks in the southwest.

Last edited:
046, thanks for the offer of helping. The problem I have is this though.....unless I have a huge wad of money to spend, then I am looking at a truck over 10 years old to get out of having to pay hundreds here to put it through the Single Vehicle Approval. This is a think set up by the government over here whereby all vehicles less than 10 years old have to go through a heap of compliance testing, and is expensive and a right pain in the bottom. Now, when we get to trucks over 10 years old, the cost by the time it's on the road here in the UK is made up mainly of freight, import duty and tax, and registering etc.

Here's an example based on the something like the 91 Silverado dually I've been offered. I can buy such a truck in the US for say $6000 (from looking at Commercial Truck Trader). The UK equivalent of this is £3000. On top of this I pay £800 freight and about £200 for port transfer in the UK and about £100 port fees here in the UK. So now at £4100. On top of that I have to pay 10% import duty and 17.5% VAT on top of that and about £50 clearance fee, so now up to £5350. On top of that I pay £50 for MOT test + cost of any work that needs doing, then £224 for registration and 6 month road tax, and £20 for reg plates....so now I'm at minimum of £5644 (or $11288) for a truck costing $6000. And I need to add on £100/day minimum for my lost wages on days I'm running around sorting it all out so now I'm well over £6000 ($12000) for the $6000 truck, which I've found I can probably buy over here in the UK for £6000 or so anyway.

This is one of the reasons I stopped doing the imports from Japan - my customers thought they were getting done why I was selling them vehicles for £8000 that I had only paid 80,000 Japanese Yen for (or £4k), and they kept trying to knock more and more money off my prices. In the end I told them to stuff it. I pointed a couple to the Japanese auctions and they were gloating that they had bought a car for £1000 in Japan and were posting all over the forums how easy it was to do. Then I had the last laugh though as by the time they had got it shipped and paid the import duty and VAT it had cost them almost £3000 and it turned out to be a worthless POS that needed a heap of work and a rebuilt engine.

I think things would work out ok if I was looking at a newer truck as shipping costs and all the other bits then become a smaller part of the equation. I need to sort out where I am financially once I've shifted some stuff here. And also, now I've found out how wide the dually is....I'm not even sure if it'll fit my road!

i also looked into shipping a vehicle to the uk a few years ago when i lived there . it looked like a big headache and the cost after buying one wasnt worth it . not sure but i think the prices you mentioned have gone up quite a bit now . my truck has a full mot and no need for an sva . if your interested its at a mates garage in northampton.

Back