where to get a 44" circular saw?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anyone know where a man could pick up a giant circular saw blade? just nearly exactly like the ones that cord kings use? :D

Start hitting some old equipment auctions. I actually may know where one of that size is at. I'll check tonight.

44, 46, or 48. any would be good. actually 48 might be better. im thinkin about putting one on my timberwolf. the only downside i can see is cost as of right now. i need about a 60 to 70 hp saw motor that turns ~1100 rpm. if i can pick up a cheap saw blade and a couple hundred dollar motor to turn it i can fab the rest of it up. i *believe* my pump can turn it. a twin 22 gpm pump, but thats rated @ 540 rpm. however im turning it ~1000-1100 rpm, and have several hundred more rpm available. (if the pump will take it)

push come to shove ill stack more blocks on my pump and make it a real wiz bang machine. get enough outputs to run the log feed, splitter, saw, and conveyor all at the same time. best part that appeals to me is NO MORE CHAINS, BARS AND OIL!!! i spend ~5 minutes per load (cord) trying to get my flipping bar to oil. expecially in the winter when the bar oil is really thick. you might not think that is a long time, but i can cut a cord in 25 minutes. and it gets real old taking a sirenge to the oil hole to dig the crap out of it.

chains are 30 or 40 bucks apeice, bars are 60 to 70, sprokets are 50 or 60, and bar oil by the case is anywhere from 7 to 8 dollars a gallon. i think it would take about 1000 cords to offset the cost if i had to buy a new circular saw blade. however talk about an increse in production!! good grief i really want one now :D

You might try ozark machinery out of west plains Mo they sell used blades and mills

70 HP just for the saw blade, or to run the whole machine? My buzzsaw on my M doesn't work the motor in the least, I'd think it could be run with a 10-15HP motor?

On the other hand, your blade size and speed will get 13000 feet/minute at the tips, compared to my 22" running at 750RPM, gets about 4300ft/min. It sure oughta go through the wood!

Keep us posted if you go through with this!

70 HP just for the saw blade, or to run the whole machine? My buzzsaw on my M doesn't work the motor in the least, I'd think it could be run with a 10-15HP motor?

On the other hand, your blade size and speed will get 13000 feet/minute at the tips, compared to my 22" running at 750RPM, gets about 4300ft/min. It sure oughta go through the wood!

Keep us posted if you go through with this!

im powering my processor with a 130 or 140 hp diesel motor. if i have to i can turn the fuel up on it and really make it scoot.

i was listeing to the cord king video and they said their saw blades are powered with, depending on the model, a 60-90 hp hydraulic motor @ 1100 rpm. i emaild them for more information, and have yet to recieve any.

The closest thing ive found to that is @ the surplus center and its 58 hp @ 1800 rpm. for like 300 bucks or so. sounds like a pretty feasable way to go to me.

Found this over in chainsaw - gawd I hate the search function here, but found it none the less:

- 7 tooth sprocket will move 7 drive links of chain past a given spot per rotation
- 12,000 RPM x 7 drive links = 84,000 drive links per minute of chain movement
- .375 chain has drive links spaced 3 rivets apart (.375 + .375) or every 0.75 inches
- 84,000 drive links per minute X .75 inches per drive link = 63,000 inches per minute
- 63,000 inches per minute X 60 minutes per hour = 3,780,000 inches per hour
- 3,780,000 inches per hour / 12 inches per foot = 315,000 feet per hour
- 315,000 feet per hour / 5,280 feet per mile = 59.6590909 miles per hour
Almost 60 miles per hour!

Philbert)[/I]

That works out to 5250 ft/minute
Guessing most processers run .404 chain, would be some faster, but I guess where the big difference will be is tooth spacing on chain vs blade - how many cuts/minute.

Still unsure you need the kind of HP Cord king is talking about, but if you got it, flaunt it right?

Might run the saw pump off the front of the engine, and the processor hyds off the back? Lots of old loaders ran front mount pumps, couldn't be too hard to do...

Just thinking out loud, probably past my bedtime!!!!:monkey:

id try to explain how i run my pto pump off of an army truck, but a video is worth many many more words.

Now, before yall jump down my throat again, i have taken my deuce off of this and made a trailer out of the front end of another deuce and cut the axle shafts off. its still hooked up the exact same way but im not tyin up my truck now

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/blackdiesel02/?action=view&current=FirewoodProcessor_0003.flv

also, that chain had about 5 to 6 cords of wood on it already, so it was getting time for a sharpening

How hard would it be with your trailer setup to lose the front axle (or is that also the trailer axle?) and run one set of pumps off the front output of the transfer case and the other off the back? There should also be a PTO outlet on the trans itself for running winches.

White multifuel engine? Should be around 175HP if I remember right, been out of the Army for 10 years now, so it's getting fuzzy. I know the 5 tons used a 250HP Cummins.

How hard would it be with your trailer setup to lose the front axle (or is that also the trailer axle?) and run one set of pumps off the front output of the transfer case and the other off the back? There should also be a PTO outlet on the trans itself for running winches.

White multifuel engine? Should be around 175HP if I remember right, been out of the Army for 10 years now, so it's getting fuzzy. I know the 5 tons used a 250HP Cummins.

cant loose the axle. it is the "carrier bearing" that brings the power from front of the t case to the pump.

the rear output isnt powering anything. however it is turning the wrong direction. so does the pto's.

its a hercules. the ldt is the 137 hp (i think) the lds is the multi fuel in the 5 ton that is rated @ higher hp.

our blades were $2500 each for 56" but that was with us buying 3 and paying with cash, like I said in the PM I will see what I can find out. and I can confirm that Cord King uses Commercial-Shearing pumps as does ours.

if I can offer one bit of advice: Jack up both sides of that axle to let both shafts spin at the same speed, if you run it prolonged like that it will tear up the spider gears in the differential and cause it to fail

Holy crap, not again!! I specifically stated in the post with my video link that I have changed power plants!! Last time I caught all kinds of trash because the way I had it set up. And I'd still be running that setup if I didn't need my deuce!!

Latest posts

Back