Where'd my teeth go ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremez

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG

Talk about poor timing. This happened 10 seconds into the back cut. That was the end of the cutting day for the 026. Luckily had the 460 close by and grabbed that to finish the cut. 18" dbh ash. Love finding nails in a tree. Ripped off almost all the left side cutters. Right side looks fine. Glad it was a 12' spar and not the whole tree. Looks like the chain has beaks from sharpening too far into the tooth. Guessing that might have been a contributing factor.

There was definitely steel in the tree. Looked at the log after we dropped it. But I figured the big hook in the teeth didn't help.

I go 5 degree more on the hook on all my chains too make for faster filing in the field.
And cut hedge most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 547422
What do you mean by too much hook?

is that the work chain you say you can file to be as fast as square? maybe fast but dang that'll be some rough cutting if the teeth don't break off lol what's that raker at. from that angle it looks like it could be .100. hazardous yukon cull!

Looks like some went way to deep with a grinder.....that would have taken a lot of strokes with files...

You using an Oregon grinder ?

I got that. I just wondered if it was from an old race chain or someone just messing with grinder angles

it's got the file striations. Gypo is a cull. you won't find anything technologically advanced around him. i bet he even did that with a file over a decade old. lol

Latest posts

Back