Where'd ya'll buy your Fiskars axe, what's a good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss~zoso~ss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering where most people bought their axe from and what a good price is.

This is going to be a gift for dad.

the X27 is 50 bucks on amazon
the X25 is 40 bucks

also, maybe a stupid question, but I'm trying to determine if the 27 or 25 is better for the average 6 foot tall person..

I'm leaning towards the x27

So, who has the X27 and who has the X25, and what'd ya pay if ya don't mind sayin!

Got mine on Amazon as well, was at my door before it was even stated to ship. Very happy with the X25..but i'm five seven tall and split 90% of my stuff on a block. For a taller person i would think the X27 to be your best bet.

paid $40 i think for it, and even if it had been more it is still worth the money.

Trbo

I have the original supersplitter. Had to order it online at like an ace hardware outlet, then they shipped it to my local store for pickup. As far as I know, I had the first fiskars splitting axe around here. Seems to me, I have forgotten now, around fifty bucks.

I have since seen the x25 at wallyworld for around 40, and my local saw shop started carrying the x25 after I talked it up, and they have actually sold a few at 70 bucks!

What I would like is the original supersplitter head, same style and proportional dimensions, weighing one lb or so more, maybe 1.5 lbs more, on a 30 inch handle. And the spreader wings just a little rounded on the outside, not quite so severe an angle.

I bought the 25 first (around $45), then bought the 27 (around $55) when they were released. I am 6', and I use the 27 95% of the time. Bought them both from Ace Hardware.

I have the original supersplitter. Had to order it online at like an ace hardware outlet, then they shipped it to my local store for pickup. As far as I know, I had the first fiskars splitting axe around here. Seems to me, I have forgotten now, around fifty bucks.

I have since seen the x25 at wallyworld for around 40, and my local saw shop started carrying the x25 after I talked it up, and they have actually sold a few at 70 bucks!

What I would like is the original supersplitter head, same style and proportional dimensions, weighing one lb or so more, maybe 1.5 lbs more, on a 30 inch handle. And the spreader wings just a little rounded on the outside, not quite so severe an angle.

Yeah, I think discontinuing the SS was a mistake for Fiskars but nobody asked me. Finding that it's gone, I bought a couple NOS to put back. I have two that I use now, one in the house and one in the truck, but I want to be able to use one until I'm too old to split by hand.

If I had to pick X25 or X27 I'd probably go X27. $50 is typical, anything less is cheap. Anybody wants to get rid of a SS, I'll trade a Husqvarna Granfors Bruks ($90 new, barely used) for it. Nice maul, but not worth much to me if I don't use it.

I'm surprised they aren't $250 the way you'ns are goin' apey over 'em.... you'd still pay.

Gonna price me right out of one.

I'm surprised they aren't $250 the way you'ns are goin' apey over 'em.... you'd still pay.

No, we're a small slice of the market, we're not going to affect it one way or the other. Even the Super Splitters that are still out there, they're not collectible, stores are just selling them until they're gone. And there are X25/7s galore out there; most people like them and don't seem to mind the SS being discontinued like I do. I reckon if I didn't have so many hours on a SS and went from a maul to an X27 I'd be pretty pleased. Come to think of it, I've been pleased with all my Fiskars stuff, except the sharpening tool. I think they do a nice job.

Not sure how much I would have paid for one, I hemmed and hawed at 50 bucks. that's a lot of spare loot for me. After I got it though..money well spent.

Put it this way, if there were a flock of saws all costing X dollars, and buy only spending a little bit more..you got three to five times the performance and mileage out oa tank..what would you pay for such a saw?

I am getting at least 3-5 times as much wood split per my work input, rough guess. It really has been that dramatic an increase. Time and effort, I split much faster, with also much less effort. hard to quantify for ME other than shazzam!

In retrospect, based on my production now, would I have gone a hundred? Yes. If I hadn't read some good reviews first, and really looked close at the design in pictures, and thought "oh well, couldn't be that much better than my 20 buck maul", no, I wouldn't have gotten one. I just took a chance based almost exclusively on what I read on this site. Exactly like I a took a chance on buying a used old poulan mag case saw, I was reading about them here, found a wicked deal, went for it.

Happy with both decisions based on split and cut for the buck, can't be beat by anything out there unless someone gives you brand new free stuff, plus does the work for you.

I personally don't care what other guys want to swing, they want to heft an anvil on a stick and bash wood with it, that's their business, not mine, but I'll offer my personal anecdotals and reviews of products I own and use, plus any tips or tricks I might have come up with. It's all about sharing here..

Some guys just don't see much of any improvement over their semi sharpened anvil on a stick, so be it, I ain't them guys or working their personal wood. There are differences and I can respect that. I know for what I have to work with, mixed generic all species southeast USA wood, fiskars is the berries on the vast majority of it, all sizes I encounter. I have found that whatever is hard or impossible to split with my fiskars, is about equally sucky with a maul and wedge and sledge. I mean *anything* can be split eventually, just you get some it is silly to not noodle them and be done with it. Outside of that, fiskars all the way, until a better product comes along.

x25

i ordered my x25 from baileys on monday for 42.99, it should be here around saturday.
hoping i made the right choice and dont end up wishing i woulda bought the x27, im 5'6 and 145lbs.

I am getting at least 3-5 times as much wood split per my work input, rough guess. It really has been that dramatic an increase. Time and effort, I split much faster, with also much less effort. hard to quantify for ME other than shazzam!

See?

Pretty soon guys will be wearing them under their trenchcoats on the street corners. "Psst. Hey buddy. Fiskars X27... $75. Can't find 'em anywhere now."

I might as well just start the bankruptcy filing right now.:msp_smile:

See?

Pretty soon guys will be wearing them under their trenchcoats on the street corners. "Psst. Hey buddy. Fiskars X27... $75. Can't find 'em anywhere now."

I might as well just start the bankruptcy filing right now.:msp_smile:

Ha, 75, a bargain!

I said I would have gone a hundred, but that was more than a year ago now. today, I couldn't afford to get one at 40 bucks, or the on the street 75 dollar price.

It's funny..most things today I think are way over priced, gimmicked up, of questionable quality (new vehicles..any of them..NO they are not worth what a house cost a few years ago)..not the fiskars. They nailed it pretty good I think. because they got brains over there. LESS steel than any of their competition, just worked better, with a real splitter design, not a felling axe, not a dull anvil on a stick. Synthetic handle, just better than any of the others I have seen. Better head holding on design.

And someone bingoed that yes by golly SHARP works well on wood, lots mo bettah than dull, and a teflon finish is just a nice touch that helps, albeit it wears off and you got to touch that up yourself with miracle slippery in a rattle can..

I'm gonna order the X27 from Home Depot for $54.97 and that includes free shipping.
36 in. Super Splitting Axe-78846935 at The Home Depot

I like to buy from Hope Depot because they're pretty good about taking stuff back for just about any reason.

We bought my girlfriend a small snow thrower (gas model, non electric start) from Home Depot. When she tried it during the first decent snow fall, she couldn't get it started. I started it and cleaned up her driveway. It worked really nice. But we took it back and got her the same model, with electric start. Now she's a happy camper. No hassles from Home Depot about the switch, even after I had used the 1st one.

I got my log splitter at Home Depot. A little 4 ton Ryobi electric for $299. Before I bought it I asked the floor person if I could return it if I didn't like it. He said "No problem. Just keep the box and all packaging material". Well that was 7 years ago, and I've split over 50 full cords with my little Ryobi.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.

Oh. Veterans get a 10% discount on all non-sale items. This has saved me a couple of hundred dollars over the years.

Don <><

attachment.php

How often are UNs sharpening them and are you splitting on the ground or on a block. That's about my only concern with them ( other than finding $50 I don't need ).

A 6# Fiskars head would also be interesting methinks.

How often are UNs sharpening them and are you splitting on the ground or on a block. That's about my only concern with them ( other than finding $50 I don't need ).

A 6# Fiskars head would also be interesting methinks.

I think I have sharpened it 3 times Once was a strike that ended up in the dirt didn't think it would go on the first hit, hitting a rock that was the only time I had to work it every other time I have just cleaned it up. I am splitting on a block all the time now since then.

The metal is softer than any other axe or maul I have used and the non stick coating is just about gone but I still love the darn thing. being softer I guess thats why I can get an almost razor edge on it with a wet stone real fast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back