Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be. I am gonna wait for after christmas since we have some fences to clear. We had a big beech fall over a fence way the **** up the side of the mountain today. I had to hike an 044 quite a ways to the top of one of the fields. I have a new phone coming for xmas, a Nokia, they have good cameras. So I hopefully won't be punishing you with blurry crap photos like this one:

A view down towards the valley from the field:

d486563d4f3b43773fb0692d356a15129ef8167ba316f40b61f4a14414ba3505.jpg

Had a frost today"

158665984.RNhE8z1J.jpg

Pig... very very big pigs:

158665940.uYoZ5oWf.jpg

And the Greyhound will find the softest spot in the house:

large.jpg

I wanted to share this image last night, but it was just too dark when I got done with the work. This is the beech in the walled garden that lost one of it's huge limbs recently. It was starting to rot, so I decided to turn it into fire wood. It is a tad shy of 5' DBH. I set posts on the grass to keep it elevated and to protect the lawn - it crushed them nearly out of existence. Made one hell of a racket.

158669480.HAwmMp50.jpg

In France the clerk shows up with a measure stick and fines you for each beech stump over 10 centimeters high. Butt shavers.

In France the clerk shows up with a measure stick and fines you for each beech stump over 10 centimeters high. Butt shavers.

Heh. Even here in Ireland, they generally want the stumps as close to the ground in forestry as possible. Same with the UK. It doesn't matter quite so much when they have logging roads, though. But it is also about making as much profit as they can. Profits have plummeted since wood has been imported from the more 'affordable' European countries and parts outside. I have gone to firewood. The profits are more than twice as much, you spent less time harvesting your loads, and we have virtually no middle men we deal with any more.

Went out there today and took a pic. We've promised the tree to a builder here in exchange for some work. Hell, I don;t even have to cut it for him, he's promised to bring his own saws.

158680926.2BdlWh3o.beechrot3.jpg

I've highlighted the posts under the tree(which actually seemed to have helped a bit to keep it elevated and save the lawn), and in the middle is a huge conch the size of my big fat head. There's another one near the foot of the tree on the other side of the trunk. I was afraid there'd be much more rot than there is. So I was very careful cutting her. But it looks like she's got a fair bit of firewood to give.

I notice the yellow archangel (Lamiastrum galeobdolon) all over the ground there. That plant is a pest here as well. How widespread is it there?

It is widespread, but not much of a problem. The Rhodie and vines are quite a bit worse in my line of work. The greens we have here are all fields aside from a few lawns, and mostly used for livestock. When we have problems, we simply put sheep or horses in, and they clear it up enough so the rye can come back quickly.

Back