Where's WYK been, and what trouble is he making?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out earlier today and did manage to find some actual broom. Pretty much where you think it might be - a sandy embankment in the sun:

173646734.a4d4b2d6.JPEG

You can see here it just doesn't really compete all that well even in it's native habitat with local flora. Just not enough sun here.

Give you an idea of how aggressive fern can be in Ireland:

173646735.21e8bb99.JPEG

Yeah, ya see it growing out of the stump in the foreground, but didja see it growing out of the tree?
Here's a close up of that crotch:

173646737.d8062a7d.JPEG

If it can fit, it's gonna grow grass or fern here.

Oh you KNOW I have some opinions on Broom.

Charlie, ask me in the fall and I'll tell you some tales of fire and phylogeny.
I put a note in my calendar to remind me to ask. Invasives are our bane at the Preserve - thistles (yellow star, Italian, etc., Himalayan blackberry, Harding grass are a few of the many we fight). Broom is relatively rare but is rampant on nearby properties.

I'm still gonna get me a noodlehound one day. They are so chill. Meanwhile, these jerks are sleeping on my hand so I not only have only one but I'm also pinned down.

Attachments

• 349210324_1684100788770407_814269524354467199_n.jpg
    349210324_1684100788770407_814269524354467199_n.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Just...ya know...portin sawrs...

Love these lil 420's. I mod the primaries with eyebrow(finger) ports and they really wake up.

And modded a buds MS290 for some more ccs(64cc now) and ported it since I was digging around in there.
That muffler is an SOB, tho. Hell, the whole process of messing with 290's is an SOB.

OK guys. I may need some help. Don't spose anyone has a starter assembly for an Echo 350 351 360 361?
I cannot for the life of me find one here in Europe.
OK, I found a guy on amazon, Now to see if the owner wants to spend 80 bucks on the part...

@wyk thank you for this thread. I do enjoy readind it and your style is very entertaining. Watch out for Irish redheads, I've been told that they first steal your heart, arrange a shotgun wedding and at the end you will spend all your time in a local pub without teeth wearing silly looking cap.

Are Echos uncommon in EU? It occurs to me that I've never thought about that.

Much more rare than the States. The only reason they are here at all is they are ubiquitous in Asia, and manufactured in many countries there under license.
So eastern European countries have em and the UK has a few of em. We have an Echo dealer here, but they can't really help us out with parts. And when they can, it is ridiculously expensive. Thus the locals avoid them unless the prices are good.

When I was doing forestry in Dorset, England the last decade about half of the pros I worked with had never heard of Echo.

In any case, the biggest Echo dealer near us is the UK. I managed to find a Golf replacement cylinder. I ordered it on line. It's from a big warehouse in London.
After Brexit, ordering from the UK is mostly hit and miss. So we'll see how it goes. The crazy thing is I am occasionally told they don't sell internationally due to the extra hassle. How are these guys gonna survive Brexit with that attitude?

The starter I can get on Amazon, but again, it's like 80 euro to my door. Ouch. But it's worth it, because such a saw is 600 Euro here!

I did just sell off one of my ported Dolmars to the UK. I understand their customs are more lenient going in to the country than the EU's are coming from the UK.

Dang yo, I've only recently become a fan of Echo. I recently picked up a built 620PW and it absolutely screams. It's the only 60cc pro saw I'm aware of in the states that still has old school carburetion and it's about 40% cheaper than the uh other guys. I think between the new machine, parts, porting, machine work, and shipping, I was in it about $900 which is a steal for how strong this thing is for its weight.

Smells to me like Echo:EU :: Dolmar:US more or less.

Wes, if you get a chance, try a 2511 tophandle. Yery light and way more power than a 25cc saw ought to have. I'm told that the spank a 150 Stihl.

I need to be clear on our standing on Echo. I mean, I did just ask people in the USA for parts, right? You all saw that? Pun intended.

Though I have heard a lot about the 2511's, they aren't available here in Ireland(and at least one dealer did not even know if it's existence!). Well, most Echo's aren't available here. The main supplier for Echo was UK-based until recently. So, in order for us to bring stuff over from the UK, we have to back door it through or from Northern Ireland, or just skip that process altogether and bring it in from the Mainland in Europe, or use a managed importing warehouse. Either way, they haven't really figured out how to go about it, so Echo have languished the last few years here.

I was a dealer before the Irish government really started enforcing Brexit protocols in, uh, 2019? Duty/customs fees, taxes, handling fees, warehousing fees, delays, and then delays. I no longer bother. The worst part of dealing with brexit as far as the Irish customs go is the randomness of the costs. It really makes it impossible to quote a price. The only way to know the exact costs would be to use an importer or be an importer - adding even more costs(usually 10-15% in small batches). Remember, although the EU is one trading block, there are still customs checks between them all. I have had products detained that were legally imported because they came from the mainland and customs wanted to check them. They give you a slip with NO information on it other than why something was detained. There is no one to contact regarding it's status as you are not given a unique number on the detainment slip - just a signature of the agent which looks just like a Doctor's signature. So you will never know when it is freed up until it arrives on your doorstep - which usually means weeks or never. I have had two shipments detained. One delayed by two weeks, the other one never arrived. That's when I stopped importing. And that shipment was from Poland! Not even the UK!

If I need that 1/4inch chain the 2511 takes I have to order it from another country. The cost basically goes up, but most importantly for someone that uses it on a working farm, the time goes up. I can go to my local stihl or husky dealer and get everything from 3/8,Picco up to standard 3/8 there on the spot to fit any Echo. Hell, we do a thing here I haven't seen stateside, at least not on the west coast - .058 chain. How stupid is that? 050, 058, 063. And even better, Stihl chain has no 050 options. So the only two options for standard 3/8 or .325 is 058 or 063. So you choose your saws, or bars at least, based on who your local dealer is, which of course is likely by design. Someone is gonna ask, so I will say, our farm is a Stihl shop. The Echo is an anomaly. I got two Echos at wholesale costs as a Christmas gift from a supplier, and they both live near me still(a 360 Wes and a 390SX).

The warehouse in London claims to have posted me my piston. I'll do a bit of porting on the 360 and slap it together and see how much longer it will last.
That 360 is a magical combination of weight(8lbs!) and power(pulls 3/8 lo pro with authority).

Just doin the usual stuff. Had to make a clutch removal tool because they want 30 bucks for a husky or an echo one delivered here. Even cheap POS aftermarket ones are 20.
A socket is a dollar.
And if you like to do crime, the angle grinder pays for itself the first time out.
174105226.7d182842.JPEG

174105227.2098ecb9.JPEG

174105228.5815310f.JPEG
nope, never needed a tool that looked like that, nope, never...
this is why we have Hazard Fright tools... cut em up break em start over

Hell, we're lucky if we can even find the OEM sometimes, let alone cheap stuff.
We can always go to the continent, but paying 15 euro shipping on a 15 euro tool and waiting a week or more is a bit rough.
This is actually the first one of these I have had to make since we're a Stihl shop, and most big huskies I repair won't need one either. I only port saws here, and I rarely repair other peoples saws - there is just no money in it. I only do it for buds in need, really.

A good example of how small engine repair doesn't pay anymore is a friend plopped down an 024 not long ago. It obviously had high needle issues. I told him to put a kit in it and try it again, but he says he'd done it already. He LOVES this saw - pleeez help!
I got a kit for it. Rebuilt it, readjusted the metering lever because it was nowhere near right since he installed a diaphragm without a gasket under it, pop off tested it - all good. The guy was also running a plug in it that the cap came off of. Replaced that. Did some minor repair of that coil terminator.
But the guy had been adjusting the idle screw over and over since the carb was starting to fail. He had it tucked right into the carb block. I did not realize this until I had put the thing back together and the screw would not adjust. I started it and the thing is zooming to the moon, of course So, I had to remove the carb again, **** around with freeing that stuck idle screw which he had nearly stripped and nearly put a hole in the block, and he'd mangled the crane arm holding it in doing so, so even though it is mild aluminum I still had to be careful making sure it's aligned so it doesn't break off, which took way longer than it should've taken me to do with my old eyes. Put it back together and test it and go over the saw in search of other problems. In the end I have to tell him he will likely need a new carb soon enough since he's fucgt with this one soo much.
No way would a local shop let this guy get away with this sort of ****ery for less than 200€.

Latest posts

Back