Which Blower? BG85 / BG86 / HB280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Blower? BG85 / BG86 / HB280

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new blower. It will be a hand held blower. I have no leaf cleanup to worry about here. It will only be used to blow off edging and trimming clippings on about 200-300 feet of asphalt.

I have three options. My Stihl dealer told me he could probably still get me a new BG85. I'm not sure what the cost would be but not much less than retail.
BG85
DISPLACEMENT: 27.2 cc
ENGINE POWER: 1.10 bhp
WEIGHT: 8.8 Ibs
AIR VELOCITY AT NOZZLE: 183 mph
AIR VOLUME AT NOZZLE: 459 cfm

He has two BG86s coming back that the customer doesn't like. It sounds like it's a perception issue because they're quieter than the BG85s he bought last year and thinks they're weaker. I would get it a dealer cost of $189.
BG86
DISPLACEMENT: 27.2 cc
WEIGHT: 9.7 Ibs
AIR VELOCITY AT NOZZLE: 190 mph
AIR VOLUME AT NOZZLE: 459 cfm

My dealer also just picked up Redmax. Redmax just came out with the new HB280 which has specs nearly as good as the BG86. I can get one of these for $159.
HB280
DISPLACEMENT: 27.86 cc
WEIGHT: 9.4 Ibs
AIR VELOCITY AT NOZZLE: 170 mph
AIR VOLUME AT NOZZLE: 425 cfm

Are any of these strato? Would you care? What's the difference between the BG85 and BG86? Can I expect a better built pro-style engine in the Redmax or a clamshell in the Stihl like I've found with the small saws?

86 all the way. It has spring anti vibe and the tubes have been fixed. The 85 was the most powerful handheld so I'm sure the 86 has just as much power if not more.

The HB280 has the clamshell design. The HBZ2601 is a better built blower but a little doggy out the box. But they can run much better after 10 minutes work.

That may be the blower my dealer has and has demod. I haven't seen it yet. I noticed that the one they have cost a fair amount more than the HB280. Perhaps this is the HBZ2601? Is it a pro-built engine?

That may be the blower my dealer has and has demod. I haven't seen it yet. I noticed that the one they have cost a fair amount more than the HB280. Perhaps this is the HBZ2601? Is it a pro-built engine?

It is a PRO engine conventional left and right crankcases with a jug bolted down, It's from the BCZ2601 trimmer's it is strato charged the muffler is a lil restrictive and the carb a bit of tweaking. Im sure you could gain some impressive #'s after just 10 to 15 minutes time.

I have a used HBZ2500 with a blown base gasket im sure 166 will make you a he!! of a deal on.

Scott

HB280 = Clamshell
502456245_59ZAp-L.jpg

HBZ2601 = Pro-Style Engine
502456289_Nqmad-X2.jpg

I wonder if I could get BG86 or HB280 performance out of it with a muffler mod and re-tune?

Note: the BG85 is non-catalytic, BG85D and BG86 are catalytic mufflers. Not that its a huge issue.

I found yet another use for my blower a couple weeks ago, cleaned out the clothes dryer vent pipe in about 20 seconds!

Note: the BG85 is non-catalytic, BG85D and BG86 are catalytic mufflers. Not that its a huge issue.

I would be surprised if the BG85 did not have a cat.

I can't say I've run the other two, but the BG85 is value-engineered garbage.

My choice is none of the above.

Buy the blower (KM-BG) that fits on the end of the KM trimmer.. Cheaper and better.

Last edited:
I can't believe you're talking 'bout modding a blower...... Oh ya' I guess I can...... :buttkick:

i don't know about any of the other blowers, but for what you need the 85 is gracious plenty. i don't think you will have buyers remorse if you get that unit.
(and no, it does not have a cat muffler.)

I have a bg55 goin on five years and still as strong as the day I bought it. My uncle runs a lanscaping company and runs the homescaper series and swears by em, although he does run echo trimmers for good reason. I got off track, I ran the 86 at the dealer the other day and they are sweet, no vibes, quiet and use less fuel which is always a good thing.

the fuel usage and vibes are a non-issue. if you run any saw, they will vibrate much more than an 85. as a HO, you will used the blower for 5-10 minutes once a week. a tank of gas will last you several months and you will never notice the vibes.

I bet Brad messes with the gov on his lawnmower too. Heck, at 4000 rpm they really scream,

No, but I do have a tach mounted on the dash to make sure it's turning the 3600 it's supposed to be.

Check out PN 79 in the IPL above. That is nothing more than a restrictor plate added to the 2601. It did not exist in the 2500. It simply need to come out and the carb be retuned. Just undoing the destructive EPA garbage.

the fuel usage and vibes are a non-issue. if you run any saw, they will vibrate much more than an 85. as a HO, you will used the blower for 5-10 minutes once a week. a tank of gas will last you several months and you will never notice the vibes.

I agree on most of what you said, accept the fuel thing. I go through almost a tank a week but I am anal about my property. As far as vibes go I didn't notice em either until I ran the 86 and then the 55 side by side and then you can tell the diff. Also the 86 is very very quiet which would be a huge plus to the commercial users that wanna keep down the noise.

Based on the construction of these blowers, I'm leaning more towards the Redmax HBZ2601 or the used HBZ2500. I learned a lot about build quality in my quest for a well built small saw. These two blowers have that. I'll sacrifice a little performance for quality.

if you run any saw, they will vibrate much more than an 85.

Absolutely incorrect.

A BG85 vibrates far, far more than a saw. Running skip chain in dry oak does not even compare to the vibes from a BG85. Not even close.

It's the reason why Stihl had to design an antivibe system for the 86. The 85 would soon have been illegal for sale in Europe.

As it is, the UK regulations limit BG85 usage to short periods of time in any one day due to the vibes.

If I run mine more than 10 minutes in a day, my hands hurt, and I can't do any woodworking because I lose too much in the way of fine motor skills.

Latest posts

Back