Which chainsaw make/model use Quadra 75cc and 100cc engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngr1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, can anyone tell me which chainsaw make/model use Quadra 75cc and 100cc engines. Quadra engines make great candidates for model air plane conversions.

As a hobby I build and fly ¼ scale WWII fighters and chainsaw engines happen to be perfectly suited for powering these birds. Most of the time flywheels are shaved and prop hubs have to be machine but outside of that stock chainsaw engines can be bolted right in.

Some of my work can be seen at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rcbird123

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Norman

Last edited:
I don't know what a Quadra engine is, apparently no one else does, or else there are not any on chain saws. It is a new one on me.

Do you mean quad ported engines? If so, there are getting to be several of them. These Hot Rod saw guys would probably respond on that.

The saws I sell, don't have to worked on, so I don't know what kind of ports they have in them unless someone tells me.

I'm not real familiar with the RC stuff, but my Mom and Stepdad live across the road from a farmer that flies, has a pretty nice mowed grass runway that he shares with an RC club...I was there yesterday with the kids watching them, and asked some of those guys about Quadra engines after seeing the post yesterday.

Seems like Quadra has a big time reputation, but is for the bigger planes.

I don't think anybody uses the quadra engines in a chainsaw, or other widely available product...at a lower price than buying a new engine. I looked prices up on the web and they are pretty spendy.

I guess it's like everything else, if ya wanna dance, ya gotta pay the fiddler

quadra

there are no chainsaws with these engines. quadra-aerrow engines were introduced in 1975 specifically for the rc aircraft industry. go to quadra-aerrow.com to learn more.

The only engine I am familiar with that Quadra produced was 34cc. It was used in chain saws sold under quite a few brand names, Frontier, Pioneer, Partner, Husqvarna, Jonsereds, Danarm, Lombard to name a few. Production ended on this engine as a chain saw in 1992.

I saw pictures of the Quatra 100cc engine. It looks like a 6 cubic inch pioneer/poulan (p-60,p-61,p-62) barrell on a custom crankcase. I think the crankshaft is custom also but basically a chainsaw design. Mike

Quadra engines

Thanks everyone!

It is interesting to know that they are no-longer used for industrial purposes. The beauty of the Quadra design was the rear facing exhaust which is nicely suited for tight cowl configurations.

NR

Last edited:
quadra engines

well, i e-mailed klaus nowak of quadra-aerrow and he informed me that they have NEVER produced ANY engines or parts of engines for chainsaws. they were developed and produced STRICTLY for rc aircraft.

Oakman, Do you think that he built or cast his own cylinders? I don't. If he did he copied the p-60 design exactly. He said he didn't produce anything for a chainsaw. That does not mean he didn't take a chainsaw part for his design. He does not want anyone to know how to make one of his engines. He is charging a lot of money for them. If people thought there was a chainsaw part on them it would "cheapen" the engine design. Mike

rupedoggy
very good point. i hadn't even considered that they may have used parts from saw engines to develop their own rc engine. thats funny, cause i been flyin rc aircraft for over 20 years, and running and repairing saws for even longer, but never even considered that possibility. oh well, lifes for learning, eh? thanx for the insight, now i gotta investigate further. there are alot of people makin large rc engines. i know some of the guys out in reno that fly the unlimited rc warbirds are using the big stihl saw motors, and these aircraft weigh 50 pounds or more and are reaching speeds of 200 plus mph. now, i wonder if my 066 could fly...................

I am going to try to post a picture. The engine with two cylinders is a Quadra. The one in the background is a Dolmar. They are both RC airplane engines. Some of the people that know saw engines can possibly concure with me that the cylinders are p-60 type. Mike

rupedoggy,
now that you got me thinking about this, heres a question for ya.
isn't it possible, or even likely, that some, if not alot of saw makers, past and present, did not cast their own cylinders? i have worked on alot of saws, and now that i think about it, i do recall seeing names on cylinders other than the manufacturers name. i have a partner r12 that i just brought back from the dead,(by the way, i think that saw was quite advanced for its age, auto oiler, anti vibe handle, fairly quiet muffler, etc.) and it has what i think is a german name on the base of the cylinder, mehan, or something like that, but the saw was made in sweden. if quadra were using a pioneer or someone elses cylinder, wouldn't they be in violation of a patent? just a thought..................

While I'm no expert on most makes, I do know that there are a couple of aftrematket companies that have made replacement pistons and cylinders for popular chain saws...Gilardoni in Italy, and Mahle (Germany?) come to mind and I think there are more. E-lux has used them quite extensively on new saws.

Were I a small engine maker, the first thing I would look for would be a relationship with someone such as this. Why spend millions setting up to produce these parts, when your market will bear a reasonable profit over the cost of outsourcing them?

eyolf,
yea, mahle, thats the name on the cylinder on my partner r12. i wonder if that was an aftermarket replacement when the original wore out. i'll have to email partner and ask. they have been quite forthcoming with info in the past. while i'm at it, i think i'll email quadra again and ask em where they get their cylinders. think i'll get a reply? thanx for reminding me about mahle. i was almost gonna go tear the saw back apart so i could get the name!

Mike to Mike
That is the cylinder from the Poulan PRO 655, descdended from the Pioneer P60. Quite a few changes were made in the engine design so the parts will ot retro fit. The cylinder is made by Gilardoni and has finger ports opposite the exhaust port. When EMAB Canada was building the saws engineering told me about a proposal to supply parts for an aircraft engine that used a different crankcase and crankshaft. I never heard any more about it but I guess they are out there. We found the 655 engine to be bullet proof, just loved to pull a 36" bar and chain. The engines were also built for Target 14" cut-off saws.
Mike

Mike to Eyolf
All cylinders used by Partner are made by Mahle.
Aftermarket cylinders are available for the 65cc engine and the 70cc engine but only those two sizes.
Mike

The rupedoggy is correct. The Pioneer P-60 and p-61 are the Q-100 engine base. Klaus uses stock heads and cranks with a billet case. Have a plane with 2 Husky 3120 engines. Can be seen at www.rcwarbirds.com is on the front page and is a WWII B-25

Hello, can anyone tell me which chainsaw make/model use Quadra 75cc and 100cc engines. Quadra engines make great candidates for model air plane conversions.

As a hobby I build and fly ¼ scale WWII fighters and chainsaw engines happen to be perfectly suited for powering these birds. Most of the time flywheels are shaved and prop hubs have to be machine but outside of that stock chainsaw engines can be bolted right in.

Some of my work can be seen at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rcbird123

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Norman

Hello Norman,
I just joined the site and happened here looking for information on "Quadra Model engines. I too fly and am moving up to 1/4 and Giant scales.
In your post, you were looking for information like myself; Did uou get answers as to what engine or casing they use to make the "Quadra" 100.
I would really enjoy corresponding with you on rhis topic as I am new to this size of plane. I have collected several engines , don't know ir they are weed whackers or what.
Please respond,
Larry

Hello Norman,
I just joined the site and happened here looking for information on "Quadra Model engines. I too fly and am moving up to 1/4 and Giant scales.
In your post, you were looking for information like myself; Did uou get answers as to what engine or casing they use to make the "Quadra" 100.
I would really enjoy corresponding with you on rhis topic as I am new to this size of plane. I have collected several engines , don't know ir they are weed whackers or what.
Please respond,
Larry

The original posting was 6 years ago. Odds are he doesn't even read these boards anymore. A Private Message might work assuming he hasn't changed his e-mail address or checks his e-mail often.

Cold Iron

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, do we have access to his Email? It's humbling to be in a new enviornment. You obviously read the boards, do you have any information on the chain saw conversion question?
any information will be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Larry

Back