Which choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekhunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, do I pick up an 025/ms260 used but (looks) clean, or buy a new MS250, Echo 400 or 450, Dolmar 420 or Redmax cs 4500. I know that there is talk of the Echo burning lean but my saw will be working at 9500 ft in elevation. I will probably start a ruckus here but I value your input and lean towards the MS250. I posted before about 30 or so cords of downed Aspen that I need to get through. After that I will cut about a 2 cord of firewood per year plus fish and elk camps. Which of these options would you choose. I am capable so far as the work goes--with the help of this site, and take extremely good care of my stuff. My old 011 is proof of that. My collection is growing thanks to all of you--crap--what is this disease.

OK, do I pick up an 025/ms260 used but (looks) clean, or buy a new MS250, Echo 400 or 450, Dolmar 420 or Redmax cs 4500. I know that there is talk of the Echo burning lean but my saw will be working at 9500 ft in elevation. I will probably start a ruckus here but I value your input and lean towards the MS250. I posted before about 30 or so cords of downed Aspen that I need to get through. After that I will cut about a 2 cord of firewood per year plus fish and elk camps. Which of these options would you choose. I am capable so far as the work goes--with the help of this site, and take extremely good care of my stuff. My old 011 is proof of that. My collection is growing thanks to all of you--crap--what is this disease.

You just asked this question a week ago..!!!...Go Buy The One You Like Best...!!!

Stop asking the same question..would be my best advice..!!! Go Buy One--Cut Wood..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
260 pro this is why I'm at mile high and the 250 is ok (a lot of plastic) but if you plan to work on the saw your self the pro saws are sooooo much easier to work on.

The Dolmar 420 is the best new saw for the money hands down. The 420 is a a pro constructed saw with a mag case, and it has the power of some 50cc saws.

Wow. I had no idea. Then he should go for the Dolmar. Thanks Andy, that some good 411.:bowdown:

The Dolmar 420 is the best new saw for the money hands down. The 420 is a a pro constructed saw with a mag case, and it has the power of some 50cc saws.
Disagree...

42cc vs 50cc...power 420=2.2kw...261=2.8kw...a 27% increase..!!

Both are Pro mag cased...

Can't speak on prices....Dolmar doesn't list them.
(Yes...I know topic is 260 and NOT 261..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
MS250 Haters....:msp_thumbdn:

Simple muffler mod and retune after break-in and these saws are runners...

I sell DOZENS of them and have fixed up a great number of them for gifts...they are a great saw at a great price...

$299 18" with a year warrenty for the homeowner...

MS250 Haters....:msp_thumbdn:

Simple muffler mod and retune after break-in and these saws are runners...

I sell DOZENS of them and have fixed up a great number of them for gifts...they are a great saw at a great price...

$299 18" with a year warrenty for the homeowner...

Retune what? Most I have seen have non adjustable high sides.

You like em? Fine, but I think there are better options. The 420 is one that is a much better choice.

Retune what? Most I have seen have non adjustable high sides.

You like em? Fine, but I think there are better options. The 420 is one that is a much better choice.

I havent seen a NON adjustable in a couple years. ;)

We are in Colorado also...at 8400 feet in altitude. At this altitude you lose 35% available horsepower due to oxygen deprivation. Most of our customers have a hard time getting much out of those little 50 cc saws. If you're gonna be doing that kind of cutting, you probably should consider something other than a homeowner saw.

What part of Colorado are you in? You're welcome to stop by the shop and see us if you are close to the Conifer area, we'll be glad to help. Our commercial guys won't use the 50 cc size saws for anything except climbing and the bucket, just not enough power at this altitude. If you HAVE to have a tiny saw, it's gonna need some modifications for regular use up here.

Good luck,
Brian and Tina

Back