Which is better for hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best for hardwoods?

• Total voters
if electric motors could be compared to gas type. and are measured by work. usually work is measured in ft/lbs. and or metric equiv. work implies that something has to moved. if nothing is moved, no work has been done.

lever on the welded bolt. Torque = 0. nothing moved. good weld. why would anyone weld a 3 inch nut onto a plate other than if the plate had a hole in it for a bolt anyway?

the saw/hardwood thing is different, can be both. if the chain moves or if the chain does not.

space: he did die young.

-omb

The question is deeply personal to me. I was conceived by two forum trolls who were engulfed in passion after the tension of fighting for weeks about this topic became overwhelming. I am literally the love child of this poll.

Sadly though, the question is nonsensical. Sadly, because if it weren't, I could tell you what my trollparents decided to name me.

So, you can make the assumption that the physical mechanics of a combustion engine allow for a flat torque curve. It's preposterous, but even the best and brightest do it every time this inane question gets posed:

It's true that a electric engines have much flatter torque/RPM functions, as Franny K said. So about those, you would ask "which is better for hardwoods, more or less torque?" Or the exact same question would be "... more or less horsepower?" People would generally say "more." Duh.

CTYank makes Space's vapid question into an answerable question:

Which is, "what shape of torque curve do you like?"

There is an answer to that.

The analogy to electrocution needs extension to fit. Amps is cutting (current is work). The question Space asks would translate to another nonsensical one: "which is better for making more amps: voltage or resistance?" The question Space would ask if he were asking an answerable one might translate to "what gauge wire is optimal for delivering current to residences by overhead lines?" Temperature of the conductor is the analog of the mechanics inside a combustion engine, and brings curvature into the "equals" sign of Ohm's law as the variables are modulated.

And by analogy, Space is talking about static electricity with his bit about the practically unmovable fastener. Static electricity is zero amps. A mechanical system without movement is zero horsepower. The fact that static electricity can involve volts (an infinite number of them), and that you can apply force to an unmoving object (up to infinity N*m, or American nosebleeds), just shows that there has to be a third component to understand how these things relate to cutting wood and tasing college kids.

There's no validation to be had for mostly inapplicable answers to a question that doesn't internally compute. But dudes are trying to answer the better question you could have asked.

For the implied question about curves though: I like my torquey tarts to be bottom-heavy.

tl;dr

:hmm3grin2orange:

And by analogy, Space is talking about static electricity with his bit about the practically unmovable fastener. Static electricity is zero amps. A mechanical system without movement is zero horsepower. The fact that static electricity can involve volts (an infinite number of them), and that you can apply force to an unmoving object (up to infinity N*m, or American nosebleeds), just shows that there has to be a third component to understand how these things relate to cutting wood and tasing college kids.

Made my day that someone got my point. :D

Torque gets you there and horsepower keeps you there.

Actually it is torque that does both - hp is a product of the torque and the rpm, and the goal really is to find the right balanse between torque and rpm.

The max hp point is an indicator of where that balance is at its best, and the hp number a rough indicator of the performance you can expect. However, it is very important how the torque curve looks around that point, and that is never reflected in any specs. The max torque point usually is at too low rpm to matter much in "normal" cutting, by itself.

Yes it has everything to do with the torque curve on 2 cycle engines, raise the exhaust port as Husky did with thier higher RPM engines you lose lower RPM torque and have a high narrow power band. Leave the exhaust port a little lower you lose a little HP but have a saw that has more torque at lower RPM and is a lot easyier to run. Steve

Although a 346xp will balance sideways nicely, it lacks the torque to seriously compete in hard wood. The horsepower it has is better suited to spending 30 minutes felling a 16" diameter Norway pine with a 13" guide bar. Then when it comes to buzzing off 50-70 1"-2" "limbs, you'll forget all about the lack of torque. When faced with an 18" hard wood, it's best to reach for a MS261 with a 20" guide bar and let the torque do the work.

Although a 346xp will balance sideways nicely, it lacks the torque to seriously compete in hard wood. The horsepower it has is better suited to spending 30 minutes felling a 16" diameter Norway pine with a 13" guide bar. Then when it comes to buzzing off 50-70 1"-2" "limbs, you'll forget all about the lack of torque. When faced with an 18" hard wood, it's best to reach for a MS261 with a 20" guide bar and let the torque do the work.

yep

Hi All
Stihl answered this queation sometime ago when they brought the Ms046 / Ms460 out. They have the balance between HP and tourque where it needs to be for the hardwood industry, they answered this question with the best hardwood saw on the market.
Safe cutting

There is a sweet spot in all saws and that is the spot, where you have the highest torq. and the highest rpm the saw will pull in any given log. the rpm peak torq. is at, is at a lower rpm than peak hp. The higher you move peak torq up the the rpm range the more hp you make. But your peak torq numbers are smaller, but your peak hp numbers are higher. torq is movement, hp is speed.I am like everyone else I want it all.I haven't found it , with the number of people porting saws for better performance , I guess they haven't either. But they are still looking and so am I. Steve

h.p. vs torque

I had a motor repair man tell me a simple way of keeping it in a single statement. Torque gets you there but h.p. keep you there. that is why you need the best of both worlds, and it keeps the porting people working. The best thing I do is keep the chain sharp and find and keep it in the powerband. " from my riding days"

Back