Which is the better flue pipe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
The place we're getting our burner from is pushing the 2 wall pipe with the injected foam insulation, the fellow we're getting an installation estimate from said that the triple wall pipe with no insulation is a no brainer and anything else WILL give you problems in the long haul.

Here's the link to the Secure Temp ASHT+ pipe the retailer recommends.

Is the installer right or is he just a little behind on the latest flue designs? He's not a dedicated stove installer, but rather a highly recommended carpenter. We're having an insulated chase built on an outside wall to conceal the pipe.

Ian

Last edited:
I think I may have answered this question myself... I found a link comparing the constructions and found out that the triple wall isn't without insulation, the inner two layers ARE insulated and it's just the outer layer that is air.

Now it's turned into a "duh" question.

Ian

I know you are talking flue pipe or chimney but sounds like that is resolved....

unnyway I opted to use double wall connector pipe from the stove to the chimney as I wanted to save room space by keeping it close to the wall and was borderline for clearance with regular black single wall stove pipe. Man, it is so cool you can just about keep your hand on it. You do lose a bit of room heat you are accustomed to getting from the old fashioned pipes.

The place we're getting our burner from is pushing the 2 wall pipe with the injected foam insulation, the fellow we're getting an installation estimate from said that the triple wall pipe with no insulation is a no brainer and anything else WILL give you problems in the long haul.

Here's the link to the Secure Temp ASHT+ pipe the retailer recommends.

Is the installer right or is he just a little behind on the latest flue designs? He's not a dedicated stove installer, but rather a highly recommended carpenter. We're having an insulated chase built on an outside wall to conceal the pipe.

Ian

Haywire...may I suggest that you look into seamless 22 guage stove to connect your furnace/stove to your chimney...If ever you have a chim fire it will not expand and pull itself apart like the cheaper stove pipe and it is more heavy duty...DW :)

It's a zero clearance pre-manufactured fireplace.. the flue is going to be fully enclosed in the chase. No single wall pipe at all. It's going to be double or triple wall pipe from beginning to end. Link

Ian

There's no masonry chimney at all. It's a total add on. It's basically a zero clearance wood stove designed to be built into to the wall with a "fireplace" hearth and mantle in front of it. The flue pipe will run up the outside wall and will be covered with an insulated frame construction to help retain heat for draft and then vinyl sided to match the house for aesthetics.

Ian

I've always liked Selkirk Metalbestos double wall chimney pipe. It's rather costly but it's a real high quality pipe and fittings.

No choice Haywire, Selkirk Metalbestos is the standard for a safe, high quality, durable stand-alone flue system. Yes, it is more expensive than competitors, but you will be installing it for keeps. In past projects I've used the Selkirk flues 5 times in various constructions, new and remodel. The parts go together well, simple to install, and are available through most building supply houses. You can save by setting up a contractor's account. " I build homes."
We figure that the cost of the SS Selkirk flues is around a $1./inch. Not cheap.

Not cheap.

Yep, that pipe I linked above runs about $10/ft. I talked with the dealer again today, and he said that his price for the fireplace includes installation in my framework. In other words, I have my carpenter frame it up per their installation guide and they set the unit and run the flue. I think I'll just use the pipe they recommend so if something does go wrong, they can't say, "You deviated from our recommendations, it's on you pal, good luck."

Thanks for the advice,
Ian

Edit... had a look at the specs for the Metalbestos pipe and it appears that the Secure Temp pipe above meets the same 2100°F spec. That makes me feel a bit more secure in their recommendations.

Last edited:
Another ditto on Metalbestos double-wall...been selling/installing/using it for years. Aux. brackets, ceiling/wall penetration fittings are top-notch.

Latest posts

Back