Which is the better work boot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been wearing Carolina steel toe loggers for years. Then I changed occupation and my new employer gives me $185 per year to buy steel toed work boots. I have since tried insulated Redwings which I found pretty nice, but heavy as hell. Then on the recommendation of a coworker I tried a pair of non-insulated Chippewa and LOVE them! There was some break-in time of a couple of days, but once broke in they are terrific! Working for the highway dept I beat the crap out of my boots and am glad they give us a boot allowance every year.. Added bonus of the Chippewa boots: 100% made in the USA, parent company Justin Leatherworks...long time maker of tack and other leathers. I'm a Chippewa man now.

i tried chippewas years ago and they killed my feet.everyones different though.
i have brand new carolinas and they started killing my back so i ordered more double h's.still heavy but comfortable.

worst boot i ever had was a walmart boot uncomfortable and didn't last long.

Several years back I grabbed a pair of Walmart Herman Survivor hunting boots as I was in a pinch and needed SOMETHING to go hit the woods with my Winchester. They weren't bad, I got a couple of seasons use out of them, but they began to split where the upper boot meets the lower portion. Waterproof hunting boots are useless when they leak.. All in all and for what I paid, they did alright I suppose.

If it is wet where you live and like dry feet ,Danner rain forest work good ,but pricey ,i have had this set 1.5 years now ,and can still hose my feet off when caked in mud and stay dry inside ,goretex lined ,and in summer are not hot to wear like a lot of boots .the linings are tough also ,normally 6 months the linings are wore through the heel area of my boots .

I work in commercial construction in the NW and usually buy red wings. They usually only last 6 to 8 months until the soles wear out, but they stay waterproof. I get the wedge soles and they wear fast especially on broomed concrete. The other soles last longer but aren't as comfortable. Check out Thoroughgood (sp) if you can find them. They are US made and really high quality. A lot of the Danners and Red Wings are made in China now and aren't as good as the US made ones. Still expensive, just low quality crap.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I too have tried lots of boots i do underground utilities lots of dirt mud concrete stomping on shovels, I've been really impressed with Matterhorn mining boots insulated in winter and uninsulated in summer made in USA dammit tough boots not cheap but hey I don't buy cheap tools either. Sometimes you can find them cheap on ebay.

Redwings the US made ones waterproof insulated year round have a pair two years old that I wear everyday and the stuff I work in eats Timberlands and Wolverines literally.

I use to wear red wings for years but was going through a pair in less than a year. Switched to wolverines for the price of just over 100 and they are great. I have had two pairs in the last 4 years and only had to have one set replaced due to a sewn seam splitting and they replaced them for 10$ which was the cost to ship them back. Soles wear well on concrete too.

I understand they are a LOT of money for boots and most wouldn't allow themselves to spend the money that White's is asking for a set of boots, I was one of those people at one time also. However I'm on year 5 with my first set of them and they are worth every red cent. I have a bad back and literally just wearing them helps, they can be rebuilt several times, and I wear them or have worn them about 98% of these 5 years. Mine are to the point of a rebuild now (first rebuild) and they are still the most comfortable shoes I own because of the arch support they have.

Again, expensive but worth it all day. Just my 2 sheckles. Good luck in your search and stay safe

I understand they are a LOT of money for boots and most wouldn't allow themselves to spend the money that White's is asking for a set of boots, I was one of those people at one time also. However I'm on year 5 with my first set of them and they are worth every red cent. I have a bad back and literally just wearing them helps, they can be rebuilt several times, and I wear them or have worn them about 98% of these 5 years. Mine are to the point of a rebuild now (first rebuild) and they are still the most comfortable shoes I own because of the arch support they have.

Again, expensive but worth it all day. Just my 2 sheckles. Good luck in your search and stay safe
My uncle has a pair of whites that he had when he lived in prineville.he swears by them.i wish i could justify a pair to work in but all these rocks around here are rough on the toes and heels.one day i'm mowing and landscaping.the next logging or concrete work etc.

Danner makes a good boot, but my favorite boot brand is Haix. It's a German made boot. They are terribly expensive if you get them at full retail, but they are the toughest boot I've put my feet in. I usually check out the clearance and factory seconds lists on their website.

My employer buys us Irish setter, I add those Dr schols inserts that you stand on the machine in Walmart and it picks the right type for you. Worth every scent.

If you're on your feet for long periods of time I would save up some more and get a pair of Rocky boots. I usually spend about 10-11 hours a day on my feet, and I learned pretty quick to buy a pair of quality boots. If You won't be wearing them alot then I guess it doesn't matter!

Back