Which Klotz?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly OT but which Klotz has "the smell"?

My dad had a Hodaka dirt bike eons ago (probably late 1960s) and he says that he had problems with it siezing until he started running Klotz. Not only did it not sieze any more but it had more power and had a neat "exotic"/"racy" smell. He says he's pretty sure it was full synthetic. So I bought a gallon of Klotz Techniplate (the full synthetic, not the super tech) and it doesn't seem to make much smell at all. My dad was in town a couple weeks ago and we ran saws for a few hours with my Klotz mix and he said it didn't smell anything like what he remembered.

Can you still get the "old" Klotz that makes the cool smell?

That's a good looking oil on paper. Never heard of it before over here so it may not be available.

ELF oil co is I understand mostly French state owned like Total. Both companys market 2 temps oil as it is called over here although they market oil more suitable for liquid cooled oil inject motors as most of the bikes/scooters are liq cooledI have tried Elf oil [nothing wrong with it] but I prefer IPONE full syn [ can be obtained here plain or fraise/strawberry smell] I find it is cheaper & runs cleaner than Elf Only my opinion though

My dad had a Hodaka dirt bike eons ago (probably late 1960s) and he says that he had problems with it siezing until he started running Klotz. Not only did it not sieze any more but it had more power and had a neat "exotic"/"racy" smell. He says he's pretty sure it was full synthetic. So I bought a gallon of Klotz Techniplate (the full synthetic, not the super tech) and it doesn't seem to make much smell at all. My dad was in town a couple weeks ago and we ran saws for a few hours with my Klotz mix and he said it didn't smell anything like what he remembered.

The Snowmobile Techniplate. Also their Octane Boost has that smell also.

ELF oil co is I understand mostly French state owned like Total. Both companys market 2 temps oil as it is called over here although they market oil more suitable for liquid cooled oil inject motors as most of the bikes/scooters are liq cooledI have tried Elf oil [nothing wrong with it] but I prefer IPONE full syn [ can be obtained here plain or fraise/strawberry smell] I find it is cheaper & runs cleaner than Elf Only my opinion though

I really like the Ipone smell.

The SuperTecniplate is 20% bean oil. It has that famous Racey smell.
And I remember Hodakas too!

Ipone is another oil I've wanted to try. I just don't know where to pick any up from.

Seems like the Klotz Light would be the "ticket" due to the lower flash point? No deposits on the piston plus the overall protection of Klotz?

I kinda like that "wet" look, when I tear one down. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Better than the dry "death vally" stuff I've seen.

I looked to see what brands I had available.
I can git
Klots super techniplate
Klotz snowmobile
Maxima K2
Belray H1R
Ipone
Lucas
Spectro
To list most of them. These are through my atv parts dist. I think I want to try the Ipone. Sposed to have strawberry smell.:clap:

Here's another oil I ran 5 gallons of mix with.

Motul 2T 710

RECOMMENDATIONS Mixing ratio: from 2% to 4% (from 50:1 to 25:1) according to manufacturers' requirements. Mixing ratio: from 2% to 4% (from 50:1 to 25:1) According To Manufacturers' requirements. Adjust according to your own use.

PROPERTIES Colour Colour Visual Visual Green. Green.
Density at 20°C (68°F) Density at 20 ° C (68 ° F)
ASTM D1298 ASTM D1298 0.862 0862 Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) Viscosity at 100 ° C (212 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 8.9 mm²/s 8.9 mm ² / s Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) Viscosity at 40 ° C (104 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 46.4 mm²/s 46.4 mm ² / s Viscosity index Viscosity index ASTM D2270 ASTM D2270 175 175
Flash point Flash point ASTM D92 ASTM D92 88°C / 190°F 88 ° C / 190 ° F
TBN TBN ASTM D 2896 ASTM D 2896 2.15 mg KOH/g 2.15 mg KOH / g

Here's the motul 2T 800 Sorry for the crappy way it's showing up. It had to be translated.

PROPERTIES Red coloured. Red colored.
ASTM D1298 ASTM D1298 0.911 0911 Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) Viscosity at 40 ° C (104 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 120.2 mm²/s 120.2 mm ² / s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) Viscosity at 100 ° C (212 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 15.5 mm²/s 15.5 mm ² / s
Viscosity index Viscosity index ASTM D2270 ASTM D2270 135 135
Flash point Flash point ASTM D92 ASTM D92 252°C / 485°F 252 ° C / 485 ° F

Here's another oil I ran 5 gallons of mix with.

Motul 2T 710

RECOMMENDATIONS Mixing ratio: from 2% to 4% (from 50:1 to 25:1) according to manufacturers' requirements. Mixing ratio: from 2% to 4% (from 50:1 to 25:1) According To Manufacturers' requirements. Adjust according to your own use.

PROPERTIES Colour Colour Visual Visual Green. Green.
ASTM D1298 ASTM D1298 0.862 0862 Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) Viscosity at 100 ° C (212 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 8.9 mm²/s 8.9 mm ² / s Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) Viscosity at 40 ° C (104 ° F)
ASTM D445 ASTM D445 46.4 mm²/s 46.4 mm ² / s Viscosity index Viscosity index ASTM D2270 ASTM D2270 175 175
Flash point Flash point ASTM D92 ASTM D92 88°C / 190°F 88 ° C / 190 ° F
TBN TBN ASTM D 2896 ASTM D 2896 2.15 mg KOH/g 2.15 mg KOH / g

Seems the 710 would be more desireable due to the lower flashpoint?

I can probably buy it straight from klotz cheaper

May not want to do it for the r-50,but if you place case orders thru the factory .You can get race contract pricing thru one of the tech reps.Still would have to pay for shipping.

Well I've been running K2 for about a year now and so far so good. I'm not 100% sure if I'll keep running it when I'm done with this jug. H1R is tempting, but it's one of the more expensive oils. I ran Silkolene pro 2 for about two years and really liked that as well, they're all top of the line esters, and honestly they all work about the same.

Well I've been running K2 for about a year now and so far so good. I'm not 100% sure if I'll keep running it when I'm done with this jug. H1R is tempting, but it's one of the more expensive oils. I ran Silkolene pro 2 for about two years and really liked that as well, they're all top of the line esters, and honestly they all work about the same.

Cool. H1R as in Belray I assume. I'm sorry Andy, I had also assumed you had switched back to R-50. Hummmm.......Maxima K2 or Belray H1R.....

The Snowmobile Techniplate. Also their Octane Boost has that smell also.

Yeah, the snowmobile techniplate is exactly what I have. The guy on the Klotz 800 number says the only difference between the Snowmobile Techniplate and the Motorcycle Techniplate is the decal on the jug.

Maybe I'm not getting "the smell" because it's not actually burning because the flash point is too high?

I think next time I'll try the Super Techniplate with the 20% bean oil, but this gallon is going to last me a while...

The SuperTecniplate is 20% bean oil. It has that famous Racey smell.
And I remember Hodakas too!

I think my dad had a 100, maybe a Super Rat? One of the other guys at the dirt pit had a 125 Combat Wombat and apparently it was the one to beat.

Latest posts

Back