Which one of you guys is this????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was cuttin and splittin at about 9 or 10. I had to my Dad was recovering from his first open heart surgery. I grew up in weeks when that happened. My Mom was more than willing to step up and do it but I was set on her seeing to Dad and I'd be the "man of the house". I learned how to plow snow, cut wood, chop kindling, back that friggin 4 wheel trailer from hell, plow the garden and a million other things and don't regret doing any of it. I think we let and/or force our kids to stay kids too long then just expect them to wake up one day and be adults. It may be dangerous but that kid is going to the over protective parents kids' boss someday.

Most of us grew up in a different time, even though some of us are a generation apart, was still a similar time. I was driving the tractor at raking hay all day age 7, baleing hay a year or so later, rode mt ct70 like it was a bat out of hell every night, had my own single shot .22cal, a deck of baseball cards and sense of adventure, and had to wear my first helmet when i started at the mill at age 15, bought a brand new truck off the lot before i had a licence at 16.

what I/we did not have..... cell phones, twitter,facebook,internet, video games (yea we had atari/intellivision/and colleco......not me but some kids at school), let alone our parents for the most part had common sense.......too many distractions today.

Hell i see adults that cant do anything else if there cell phone rings or there a text!!! Yes technology does have its place but segregating ones self from it when doing a vital job is imperative.

LOL! I know I saw that and that's why I mentioned it all joking aside, I wouldn't be cool with that. The 660 is alot of H.P Clemsontiger I agree man, work ethic and it's been lost by so many hard work, responsibility, and being able to wipe ones own ass. I see too many parents that do everything for there kids, cook clean, dishes shopping, even do all the chores and the kids sit on the couch with there friends. WTF? I think are you kidding. When I was young as soon as I got home from school, it was chore time, and nothing else till done with chores. Dinner time we helped my mom set the table, then clear the table and help with dishes. Then I put out the garbage. If we did not finish dinner we got no more until the following day guess what I always cleaned my plate! Son of a bi## I even agreed with Spacemule!

Composure

The little guy surprised me with his composure. Very level headed with the saw. No goofing around for sure. Every situation's different but based on what I watched he looked like he deserved to run a saw. Dad's got to know to step in long before he's fatigued. No comment on the 660 video.

It's always the same when someone posts something like this...people jumping on one side or the other. It just isn't a 2-sided issue. Some kids are ready for some things at a younger age than others.

The kid looked OK with the saw. Personally, I would have worried less about the camera, and more about keeping the work space clear for the little feller, but he looked like he was doing alright.

Give the kid a candy bar, and please give the dad a damned file.

Edit: Just to avoid a poo-storm, I'd like to point out that I meant feller as in "fellow".

I love this!! I have raised three grown kids 26 24 22 and have always encouraged them to do things others would think is outragous or not age appopirate. They are all very successfull and great kids. As in this vid the father is encouraging but does not seem to be pushing the child into some thing he isnt comfortable with,he is actualy good at it. Those who over protect wonder why thier children don't excell. Spend time with your children and give them a little rope but be there to catch them. My 11 year old is toying with starting to use a chainsaw and I am encouraging him,not pushing him. He has been shooting my 40 cal for a couple years. He is different than my oldest who at 12 could shoot a 12 gauge better than most of my pheasant hunting buddies. Each child needs to be let to develope at their own pace and if some want to do it younger go for it with supervision.
My 2 cents

I bet he has the best show-n-tell...probably already discussing the muffler mod at school.

i'm on the it's fine side. i let my almost 7 year old run his two saws ms170/ little xl homie. only under controlled situations , he doe's just fine. i figure if he can start it he can run it. if the kid's savy enough it's ok, quit codling kids let them be the little men and woman that they are. and it's more fun to them than it is for you. maybe.;)

I think part of the lesson to be learned here on this is that kid will understand that when wood goes into the stove or fireplace that he can know swhere it came from and how it got there and to what effort went into its intended purpose.

In other words he is learning the the system of how work is done from start to finish and what you get out of it in the end.

My kids 8 and 10 I have taken this year out to the wood pile to help load the trailer and to do some stacking. My daughter is far more happy to do it then my son but I hope he will get better about it. I want them to understand from a simple point you just don't go to the wall and flip a switch then the house is magically warm. They get to see first hand how something is produced and finshed.

I hope that one day it will instill in them the apreciation for what they have around them. Many kids use sports as a way out of work in our small town. They put several kids on a pedestal for what they do in sports but in the end most of that is lost to a lack of understanding in life skills when they don't get a big scholership to a college.

There will still be a great need in our future for a man that can drive a nail, saw trees, fix an automobile, run plumbing, finish concrete. Kids are never to early to learn the efforts of any trade.

It will pay huge rewards when that kid is an adult and they can handle situations on their own and be able to think on their feet.

Have you noticed that even adults now can't make a desicion on their own without multiple text messages to others to get multiple input. Many kids in this generation are being raised to be a bunch of wimps by wimps. They need to learn to think for themselves. Not everone mind you but a fair amount of them will be.

rant off:D

Last edited:
After watchin video i think the kid handles it pretty well. I can remember my dad teaching my brother and i to split our wood at that age with small pole axes and fill the wood bin in the house when he was at work and for my tenth birthday i started carrying a .22 , roaming our 120 acre farm with my little brother.

I like it. The father should be proud. I have taught kids that age to shoot rifles so I dont see a problem with a chainsaw. The father was there the whole time supervising. When this kid becomes a young man he will be the type of guy I hope my daughter dates.

He could have been on the couch playing video games instead of out with his dad learning/practicing a skill.

In case no one has seen it yet there is a very young kid running a 660 in a 30" log on youtube as well, probably same age.

I like it. The father should be proud. I have taught kids that age to shoot rifles so I dont see a problem with a chainsaw. The father was there the whole time supervising. When this kid becomes a young man he will be the type of guy I hope my daughter dates.

He could have been on the couch playing video games instead of out with his dad learning/practicing a skill.

European culture and espescially schooling is much different than that over here, a few traits in the video help to locate where it comes from, as does the attire and CE requirements for cutting wood.............

Different cultures different means.

Injury to the user is easier to prevent with a rifle than that of a chainsaw.....you gonna jump right in to keep that chain away from his body, much easier with a rifle.....only the one end hurts.

I noticed the saw never dropped down significantly after cutting through. The boy was in control of that saw. He surprised me for a 6 YO.

Did you see where he almost cut his dad's leg? Ohh.....wait the chain never came close to anything he didn't want to cut!

I had a 12 year old and his dad over to help cut......the kid wanted to run a saw.....I thought the 2550 would be a good fit.....the problem was he really wanted to run the saw and prove what he 'knew'! After closely watching several cuts, I turned to look at something and turned back and his pants had a cut in them! He had brushed the side of the chain against his pants! No blood.....but that was enough for me for him running a saw! He was TOTALLY CLUELESS!

This kid on the vid was a completely different kid! He even has excellent throttle control! I bet he even knows a lot of what goes on around the farm.... Farm kids grow up quick!

I give my little girl, ...the one in my avatar, any chance I get to experience things. When I'm working on stuff, she's right there beside me. Some things are too dirty or too dangerous. Granted....she's only 3.5 years old...but how many 3 year old kids do you know can read 70-90 words, count to 20 in English and Spanish? With help, take out little screws when I was working on a wall clock? (pick up with thumb and finger) Probably next year she'll be ridding in the plow truck (that is if we have anything to plow!). She'll know what it's like to spin the back end around on an icy parking lot with a little burst of the gas when the time is right!

I didn't really see a problem with the video. Kid looked well trained and was working safe.

Mr. HE:cool:

yup, it did not look like it was his first rodeo. seems like he had spent some time around saws as well as running them. i say if a child is strong enough and careful enough let them cut, in small doses of course. i stand right beside my boys and my wife watching every second. i won't turn my head or light a cigerette. and to the guy that brought it up, you better believe if given the chance i will always throw myself between the saw and my child. does this mean i will prevent EVERY accident? no of course not. but i do think it shows them that this is serious enough that dad is concerned and if dad is concerned then they had better be as well.

Honestly, i see no issue. So long as theres responsible supervision and adequate safety measures. Anything to get them off a couch and away from modern distractions. There really is a need for people who have skills. the more people encourage kids to further develop skills the better.

Latest posts

Back