Which one ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Did a search of info on Logosol mills last night and found lots of posts but out of all the info did'nt quite get the answers Im after !
Iam looking at either the Alaskan or the Logosol Big Mill LSG, Logosol's version of the Alaskan would be a fair description ? Couple of you asked the same question but I could'nt find anyone who had gone for the LSG and reported back ?
I can see good and bad points on either but just would like any advice from any of you !
This would be as an aside from my stump grinding bussiness and if I made a few quid then great but it is more for interest/fun. Based in Ireland I would have a lot of Beech, Oak, Macracarpa, Corsican,Scots, Larch and Ash to have a go at.
Saw wise I would run either 660,070,090 or 3120. Thanks in advance for any help Dave.

Anything from 12"/18" upto and beyond 5'/6'. Which is why I was leaning towards the LSG to use with Logosol's rail systems and breaking down the LSG to one unit for 1/4ing any big stuff ?
Since my first post I confirmed a few figures and there is around a 100 sterling between the LSG and a 56" Alaskan. Bearing in mind this may only be a break even venture money wise, but I would hope I could pick up a bit of work, I would rather go for the best option long term not just the cheapest ?

Anything from 12"/18" upto and beyond 5'/6'. Which is why I was leaning towards the LSG to use with Logosol's rail systems and breaking down the LSG to one unit for 1/4ing any big stuff ?
Since my first post I confirmed a few figures and there is around a 100 sterling between the LSG and a 56" Alaskan. Bearing in mind this may only be a break even venture money wise, but I would hope I could pick up a bit of work, I would rather go for the best option long term not just the cheapest ?

Although they use side wheels (which is good!) I reckon Logosol gear is overpriced for what it is. A simple ladder (seen this?) and a basic alaskan will get you 90% of the way there.

Add a couple of roller blade wheels to the mill frame like this, and as you say, you will start out in front.

I guess it depends if you like modding things or not?

Since the Logosol LSG is considerably more expensive than the Alasakan, and doesn't appear to be as rigid, I would opt for the Alaskan. For part of the price difference, you could buy the Granberg Mini Mill to make the vertical cuts. The Alaskan also has the capability of up to 13" depth of cut. Combined with a Mini Mill, you could cut a square cant up to 13", without turning the log.

Another thought is that you can get different rails for the Alaskan to make it easier to work with. There is no point in wrestling with a 56" mill when the 24" will do the job. For bars more than 36" an auxiliary oiler will be needed. Does Logosol make a provision for mounting one?

Initially, I bought the 24" mill and a 28" bar and chain. The 24" allowed a maximum width just shy or 22". Later, I bought 36" rails, a 36" bar and chains, and the Mini Mill. I have cut up to 30" wide in dry oak by myself, but it would have been easier with a helper.

For making lumber, the 24" is more than adequate. 18" boards are much quicker to cut, easier on the saw, and easier to move than 36". The bigger mills come into their own when it comes to specialties like counter/bar/table tops.

Thanks Bob and Excess I have to agree with you the Alaskan is the more versatile and can be easily moddified to suit any type of work. Also as pointed out with the saving by buying an Alaskan would lead the way to getting different rails etc.
Bob Im very lucky as my landlord uses a lot of unistrut in his work so a short walk across the court yard will give me my rail system ! Thanks so far !

Latest posts

Back