which position

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASEMASTER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a chain saw mill that won't be moved much. I would like some opinions on what would work the best , a horizontal or vertical type saw rig? (the woodbug vers. the alaskan) I'll be using a husky 570 or jony 670 to do the milling in white pine up too 24".

Well, I know if I were going to buy a stationery mill, I'd go bandsaw. I mill with the alaskan and its great for what it is, no complaints at all.

Hi asemaster,

If you have read the thread about milling poplar, you know I'm partial to the Woodbug. I started out with a 36" Alaskan. After about 4 logs, I decided to look around more. I had seen the Jonsred mill at the Tunbridge Fair and liked it. I also looked at the Logosol before settling on the Woodbug. If you are going to mill just a few logs a year, the Alaskan is fine. From my pics you see that I have about 20 logs left for this fall. I wouldn't attempt that many with Alaskan. Price could be a factor - Woodbug over $1000, Alaskan under $250. If you want a road trip, I'm set up in Brookfield presently.

Keep us informed.

You should consider the Logosol Woodworkers Mill or M7. Because you stand up and dont have to push the saw through the wood, they are much easier to use for long hours.

I have the Woodworkers Mill and couldnt be happier with it.

Regards,

Ted

TedChristiansen said:
You should consider the Logosol Woodworkers Mill or M7. Because you stand up and dont have to push the saw through the wood, they are much easier to use for long hours.
If you're not going to go the low end bandsaw route or the portable Ripsaw route, I agree with Ted that as far as ease of use, something like the M7 that you crank instead of push is easier on the back etc. Of course all mills have their pros and cons. Price being a big starting factor, and I mean TOTAL price, including the cost of the size saw one might need for the particular mill in question. I suggest you take an evening or two (prepare to spend couple hours reading) and just start searching the forum on keywords like logosol, ripsaw, alaskan, woodbug, granberg, bandmill etc etc and you will soon find tons of info, pics and opinions on the various mills. If you've seen some of my previous threads you will find I'm partial to the alaskan in conjunction with the Ripsaw because I think they compliment each other very well for the way I personally mill lumber. However, the alaskan needs a big (read expensive if buying new) saw to work well in big lumber, and the Ripsaw ain't cheap. It's claim to fame is that it is an extremely portable (handheld) bandmill. If I had the space though, I would own a larger, faster, bigger capacity more permanent bandmill. In the end it usually boils down to how much are you willing to spend for the expected portability, speed and log size capacity.

Back