Which Saw to Keep? 372XPW or 562XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I‘m thinning the herd. In the corral I have 3 saws remaining:
  • 390XPW
  • 372XPW (X-torq) (2020)
  • 562XP (2018)
When the dust settle, I believe I will end up with a 2-saw setup. I’m fairly certain that I will be keeping the 390 so I’m trying to decide which of the smaller saws to sell. Both saws have under 5 tanks of fuel run through them. Both are in excellent shape. I typically cut at 8,000+ feet of elevation and in conifers — mostly lodge pole pine and some aspen. The high altitude causes the saw to drop 25% to 30% horsepower, so I‘ve tended to use bigger saws. Most trees are 30” to 40” DBH.

Help me decide.

JQ

Sell the 372xpw and buy a Stihl MS462. You will be a new man and a poor man at the same time.

I went and bit the 92cc bullet. I sold the 562XP and 390XP. I ended up buying a 592XP — so I’m down to 2 saws:
* New 592XP
* Almost new 372XPW (X Torq)

Big ‘un for felling and little ‘un for everything else.

Damn. Only 2 saws. It’s been a while since the barn has been that empty…

JQ

I went and bit the 92cc bullet. I sold the 562XP and 390XP. I ended up buying a 592XP — so I’m down to 2 saws:
* New 592XP

JQ
That 592 is sweet really liking mine more and more I use it 👍

* New 592XP

JQ
I think you need to add a small saw to fill out those two. After all, is a 372 really for limbing??

* New 592XP

JQ
You done right!

How is that MS193T? I was thinking about getting the MS194T
It's not a screamer but its small and light. It always starts and runs though and it's probably more than 10 years old by now. I didn't buy that one. The air filter seems to always be caked with sawdust but maybe I am too used to the Husky air injection that keeps the filters really clean.

If I were to buy a top handle I may consider an Echo CS-355T or CS-2511T (either to have more power or go as light as possible).

Y'all are right...the 372XPW isn't a true "small" saw, but for what I use it for, it'll be just fine. It's not a bad limbing saw with a 24" bar as I don't have to bend over so much. The balance is nice and the weight doesn't really bother me. All my cutting is at 8,000 to 10,000 feet of elevation, so HP and torque are down. The 592XP will perform like an 80cc saw and the 372XP will feel like a 60cc saw. ☹️

The worst part is that the saw operator also runs on 30% less horsepower too!

JQ

Is the 592 running okay at those elevations?
I'll find out in a couple of months. There is waaay too much snow right now for me to get into the areas where I cut. I usually start in late May or so and run through October. One main reason I bought the 592XP is for high-altitude cutting. From what I've heard / read, it should be fine up in the rarefied air. Lately, I've also done more and more cutting at 4,000 to 5,000 feet, so the AutoTune should be the genie in the bottle for bouncing back-and-forth.

JQ

• 390XPW
  • 372XPW (X-torq) (2020)
  • 562XP (2018)
When the dust settle, I believe I will end up with a 2-saw setup. I’m fairly certain that I will be keeping the 390 so I’m trying to decide which of the smaller saws to sell. Both saws have under 5 tanks of fuel run through them. Both are in excellent shape. I typically cut at 8,000+ feet of elevation and in conifers — mostly lodge pole pine and some aspen. The high altitude causes the saw to drop 25% to 30% horsepower, so I‘ve tended to use bigger saws. Most trees are 30” to 40” DBH.

Help me decide.

JQ
You've got 30" DBH Aspen trees in Utah? 40" DBH Lodge pole pine? That's astounding. I would have kept the 353 and hidden it in the attic.

No question with me either, the 562 would hit the road. It is my least used saw even with the heated handles. In fact when I get a chance it will be listed along with the 390. I wish hl supply would have answered my e mail and.i would already have a 592. Cj

I'll find out in a couple of months. There is waaay too much snow right now for me to get into the areas where I cut. I usually start in late May or so and run through October. One main reason I bought the 592XP is for high-altitude cutting. From what I've heard / read, it should be fine up in the rarefied air. Lately, I've also done more and more cutting at 4,000 to 5,000 feet, so the AutoTune should be the genie in the bottle for bouncing back-and-forth.

JQ
Did that 592 do well up there in that rarified air? We never heard about what you found out.

I bought a 262 many years ago hardly every used it. A 60-cc saw just never fit me. Over time I learned to take a 50 70 and sometime a 90 cc saw to the woods a 60 saw is like a hybrid trying to do 2 things with one tool or machine and not doing either very well. An example would be the Amphicar a Ranchero on and off-road dirt bikes there was never a place a 60-cc saw was the right size

The 592XP is all that. I cut at 9,500 feet and the auto-tune worked well. I didn't have anything larger than 30" DBH, but I wanted to try the new saw, so it wore the 28" bar. I didn't see many snags (standing dead) as the USFS came through and felled many trees ahead of me. I found a couple of big pines but it was a b!tch to haul the rounds back to my trailer. Won't be doing that again.

The new saw has lots of power at the high elevation. I could lean on the felling dogs and lever the bar with no problem. New, sharp chain and it was throwing big chips. The lodgepole pine was no match for the orange and gray. I did notice that the oiler works better on the new saw than on my 372XP.

For giggles, I ran a 20" bar for bucking. That was fun.

JQ

• 390XPW
  • 372XPW (X-torq) (2020)
  • 562XP (2018)

Help me decide.

JQ
Sell them all and buy 395xp 😁😎

Id let that little 62 go in a heart beat. Its not worth even packing it to the mountain

Latest posts

Back