Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw

• Husky 51

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Husky 350

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Stihl ms 290

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Husky 455 rancher

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Macke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in the market for a used saw. Just a homeowner looking to cut a few cords of wood and clearing brush on my property. The ones I am trying to choose between are all the same price and in similar shape. I am trying to choose between
Husky 51
Husky 350
Husky 455 rancher
Stihl ms 290
All are at $175

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

My general answer is this. Buy the lightest saw that will do the job.
Also, the one that ergonomicly fits YOU. that might not be the lightest.
Also, get the one with enough power.
Then, get a big saw later, if you need a big saw.
N

Husky 51 overall build quality is much better than the rest, more like a real "pro" grade saw, also great gains with simple muffler mod and can put a 55 top end if anything ever goes south on the p&c, parts are everywhere dirt cheap for these saws too, husky 350 would also be a great choice just a little more involved saw and still basically a clamshell design. I have a 51 with 18" bar .325 keep the chain sharp and it will cut well.

Husky 51 overall build quality is much better than the rest, more like a real "pro" grade saw, also great gains with simple muffler mod and can put a 55 top end if anything ever goes south on the p&c, parts are everywhere dirt cheap for these saws too, husky 350 would also be a great choice just a little more involved saw and still basically a clamshell design. I have a 51 with 18" bar .325 keep the chain sharp and it will cut well.
And, with the 55 top end, the 51 will also pull an 18" bar. Mine will do it. Cheers! :chainsaw:

Stihl 029 can be made into a real nasty sleeper saw but is pretty involved, you can do a 390 p&c and even put an 044 carb on it, i just built this 039 with a cross cylinder and pop up piston it has an 044 carb and mild port work done, it will cut right with my 046 mag and weighs a 1lb less, its all in what you want to do 20190304_162926.jpg 20190304_162941.jpg

Stihl 029 can be made into a real nasty sleeper saw but is pretty involved, you can do a 390 p&c and even put an 044 carb on it, i just built this 039 with a cross cylinder and pop up piston it has an 044 carb and mild port work done, it will cut right with my 046 mag and weighs a 1lb less, its all in what you want to do View attachment 720295 View attachment 720296
But, a Stihl 029 or 290 weighs a pound or two more than the other saws (Husqvarna) on the list. Regardless, I appreciate your opinion and I have a 390. But, if I had the choice of picking it up or my Husqvarna 257, I would take the 257.

My general answer is this. Buy the lightest saw that will do the job.
Also, the one that ergonomicly fits YOU. that might not be the lightest.
Also, get the one with enough power.
Then, get a big saw later, if you need a big saw.
N
Thank you

But, a Stihl 029 or 290 weighs a pound or two more than the other saws (Husqvarna) on the list. Regardless, I appreciate your opinion and I have a 390. But, if I had the choice of picking it up or my Husqvarna 257, I would take the 257.
Your husky 257 is a totally different saw and not on his list of saws to buy, i am just trying to show him what the possibilites are especially if he likes to work on things

Husky 51 is a little heavier than the 350, but the muffler bolts on the 350 keep coming loose and have received hundreds of complaints. The 51 and the 353 do not have this problem, but finding a 353 these days is virtually impossible.
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the info.

Stihl 029 can be made into a real nasty sleeper saw but is pretty involved, you can do a 390 p&c and even put an 044 carb on it, i just built this 039 with a cross cylinder and pop up piston it has an 044 carb and mild port work done, it will cut right with my 046 mag and weighs a 1lb less, its all in what you want to do View attachment 720295 View attachment 720296
Sounds like that is above my capabilities. I guess I got some learning to do

Your husky 257 is a totally different saw and not on his list of saws to buy, i am just trying to show him what the possibilites are especially if he likes to work on things
I don't have too much experience working on small engines but I would like to get in to learning.

Latest posts

Back