Which sharpening wheels to buy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thechap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Carlton 110 volt grinder from Baileys and was thinking about buying additional grinding wheels. I currently have two huskys and one stihl. I file the one husky with a 3/8sth file and I think the other husky takes a 7/32sth file. The stihl is 3/8sth as well.

Bryan

I'm looking at that grinder myself. As for wheels, I believe it comes with 1/8 & 3/16 as well as a 1/4 for rakers. This should easily cover you but the quality of these knock-off wheels is suspect. Bailey's advises buying additional better quality wheels, not different sizes.

Joe

We use the "pink" 1/8" and 3/16th" for the cutters and have a very small diameter 3/16" wore out wheel for the rakers.

Tyrolit Grinding wheels all the way!

I have used many different brands of grinding wheel in the past and in my opinion the best by far is a manufacturer called Tyrolit. They are a swiss company but I think to date they are one of the biggest manufacturer of abbrasive and super abbrasives in the world. They are a company within the swarovski (crystal) group, you must have heard of that! they really know their stuff when it comes to abbrasives.
The type no. for both the 3,2mm wide wheel and the 4,5mm wheel are as follows:-

740908 size 140x3,2x12 88A54K5AV217
244477 size 140x4,5x12 88A54K5AV217

They are pink wheels and if dressed regularly with a diamond stick etc once they look black, they cut with no burning and hold the radius form very well.

I am thinking about buying a Carlton 110 volt grinder from Baileys and was thinking about buying additional grinding wheels. I currently have two huskys and one stihl. I file the one husky with a 3/8sth file and I think the other husky takes a 7/32sth file. The stihl is 3/8sth as well.

Bryan

Wow! You use a 3/8" file? That's a big chain.

Andy

Bryan

Are you sure you use a 3/8" file? Like your man above says, that is a 'V' big file for sharpening a chainsaw chain. What size is your chain, are you sure it is not a 3/8" chain? If it is then you don't wnat a 3/8" file my man.

Andy

Latest posts

Back