Which square grinder would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing all my saws over to square ground chisel. I'm not interested in tuning the chain or getting the last 5% out of it, I want a grinder that is going to be quick and not require a lot of fussing or attention. It will be mounted on a truck and used on site. Electricity is not an issue, we have generators/inverters. It doesn't have to be a grinder currently in production. It needs to be fast, I've got about a dozen 3/8" chains to do each day and they're going to be done at the end of the day when I'm really too tired to be paying attention to minor details.

Any advice?

Been researching this myself, from all accounts the Silvey's are a better machine but... they don't make them no more and can be hard to find.

The Simington is a fine machine in its own right just not as rigid as the Silvey.

Both company's make swing arm models, but Silvey also made a prosharp II that is sort of a sliding collumn type thing, I'm thinking the swing arm type is the way to go.

And last but not least there is a Silvey swing arm on CList in BC canadia for like 700, and another in Spokane for around the same price, or you could buy a new Simington for around 900, and still get all the parts for it.

haven't found anybody else that makes a square type grinder, lots of round buy only the two for square.

You can still get Silvey parts from Silvey, but whole machines are not currently being produced.

If you call silvey they tell you to call madsens for parts. The razor sharp is the sliding column that you're talking about. The pro sharp or SDM 4 are the top of the line ones.

Back