Which Stihl chain on 455 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lg/Lgx vs RSC

Steve, I was just wondering if you had trouble adjusting to filing LG after using RS/RSC. I just purchased some LGX and it seems like it might be a little tricky trying to get that 10 degree tilt after filing lots of 90 degree Stihl chain. It just seems easier to guess at being perpindicular as opposed to 10 degrees canted.

Steve, I was just wondering if you had trouble adjusting to filing LG after using RS/RSC. I just purchased some LGX and it seems like it might be a little tricky trying to get that 10 degree tilt after filing lots of 90 degree Stihl chain. It just seems easier to guess at being perpindicular as opposed to 10 degrees canted.

nope, I always have filed with the 10 degree tilt. I file all my round chain like that.

72V isn't a bad chain! A friend of mine uses 72v on his 455 and likes it. It's criticized often because of the unordinary shaped depth gauge or raker has some confused about how to lower it. But Oregon's website shows that it can be filed almost like a normal depth gauge-doesn't seem like a big deal. Anyway, it's fairly agressive and doesn't have all those annoying bumper drive links like Stihl's low kickback version.

I had a few loops that I got on used saws. It cuts ok, but I would not go out and buy it. I sharpened it one time and had to lower the depth gauges. I'll stick with the conventional no kickback chain

Thanks for the advice guys. The saw came with a 3/8. Today I bought a 33rsc3. Next time I might try the full chisel. ....

RSC3 is "full" chisel - but the "safety" variety, with the rather large ramps combined with large ramped rakers.

Try streight RSC next time around!

Oops. Dealer said it was what used to be a called a chipper chain, which I took for a half chisel. Told you I was new at this. Another thing, the same dealer told me to sharpen that chain with a 10 degree angle. The paper inside the package says 90. Is my deler full of it? Maybe he does what works for him.

Oops. Dealer said it was what used to be a called a chipper chain, which I took for a half chisel. Told you I was new at this. Another thing, the same dealer told me to sharpen that chain with a 10 degree angle. The paper inside the package says 90. Is my deler full of it? Maybe he does what works for him.

He probably was thinking of the now discontinued RM2 chain, which sort of was replaced by the RSC3 a few years ago.

Either way is OK, on the filing.

10 degrees or so down on the handle, filing from the "inside" is a tad better, ime.....

Experimented with this a long time, before I finally agreed with myself......:biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Just my Imagination....

It allways seemed like the Stihl chains had a sharper, more pointy outside edge than the Oregons no matter how hard I tried to compensate when I filed them. Does anyone else notice this? I haven't sharpened LGX yet.

It allways seemed like the Stihl chains had a sharper, more pointy outside edge than the Oregons no matter how hard I tried to compensate when I filed them. Does anyone else notice this? I haven't sharpened LGX yet.

Sort of, I take the Stihl chains when I can - but not a big issue......:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back